raw milk...

As a word ( or two ) of encouragement, I knew nothing about cows, milking, cheese, or any thing dairy until last September, when I got a wild hair and bought my first jersey. We now have three cow, and calves are on the way. It's not that hard, and the benefits are numerous and varied. I "share" our milk with several families, make cheese, yogurt, sour cream, and butter. We have noticed various imrovements in health from drinking raw milk. the two biggest being my totally lactose intolerent husband drinks gallons, and his skin has improved drastically. Additionally my daughter has stopped having stomach problems, and can feel the difference if we travel and she doesn't have her milk. The other products are so much better than anything store bought. My only regret is that I didn't do this years ago!!!!

Did I mention hot chocolate made with wonderful jersey milk topped off with a shot of butterscotch schnapps??????

Just a note to other folks looking for raw milk... in some states (including mine) cow shares are also illegal. And in some, you have to prove that it is an actual 'share', as in if 'your' cow gets sick, you don't get milk. When 'your' cow is producing, you get a percentage of that milk, wether it's more or less than you want. It can get really sticky. I saw a post about it being legal in PA... might be 'legal', but the dairy has to have a permit from the PA Dept of Ag. And they have shut a bunch of them down, so it'll probably get harder to find. I need to get a cow... don't think I would like goat milk, I expect milk to taste like what I am used to which is cows milk (I grew up on raw milk and still love it though it's rare that I get any). Can't have a goat anyhow, because they like to get loose and I grow veggies for a local farm market. As far as safety? As long as the cows are tested for diseases and the milk is properly handled, it's safe. Though I read in the Mother Earth News forum that there are claims about A1 vs A2 milk, and has to do with the breed of cow? More that I need to research...

Quote:
Many people are able to gain health benefits by getting whole and unprocessed milk. I think the only "foolish" people in this argument are the ones willing to be lead around by the nose by the government and be dictated to about what is and is not good for them. They have their hands in enough cookie jars as it is, they can stay out out of our milk glasses.

Quote:
Wow - it's a wonder I lived to adulthood, considering we hand-milked our own cows, raised our own meat and grew our own food, swept up spilled wheat at the elevator and ground our own flour. We sold eggs and raw milk and traded them for the things we didn't have. We never realized how foolish we were!

Edited: Apologies to the OP for not addressing your question: It is legal to sell raw milk but it depends on where you are.

Yeah, no kidding...I wonder how the human race has ever managed to survive this long with all the raw milk and eggs out there!
wink.png

Quote:
Real feed for cows is green grass in Spring, Summer and Fall; stored dry hay, silage, hay and root vegetables in Winter. It is not soy meal, cottonseed meal or other commercial feeds, nor is it bakery waste, chicken manure or citrus peel cake, laced with pesticides. Vital nutrients like vitamins A and D, and Price's "Activator X" (a fat-soluble catalyst that promotes optimum mineral assimilation, now believed to be vitamin K2) are greatest in milk from cows eating green grass, especially rapidly growing green grass in the spring and fall. Vitamins A and D are greatly diminished, and Activator X disappears, when milk cows are fed commercial feed. Soy meal has the wrong protein profile for the dairy cow, resulting in a short burst of high milk production followed by premature death. Most milk (even most milk labeled "organic") comes from dairy cows that are kept in confinement their entire lives and never see green grass!

Powdered skim milk, a source of dangerous oxidized cholesterol and neurotoxic amino acids, is added to 1% and 2% milk. Low-fat yogurts and sour creams contain mucopolysaccharide slime to give them body. Pale butter from hay-fed cows contains colorings to make it look like vitamin-rich butter from grass-fed cows. Bioengineered enzymes are used in large-scale cheese production. Many mass produced cheeses contain additives and colorings and imitation cheese products contain vegetable oils.

Pasteurization destroys enzymes, diminishes vitamin content, denatures fragile milk proteins, destroys vitamins C, B12 and B6, kills beneficial bacteria, promotes pathogens and is associated with allergies, increased tooth decay, colic in infants, growth problems in children, osteoporosis, arthritis, heart disease and cancer. Calves fed pasteurized milk do poorly and many die before maturity. Raw milk sours naturally but pasteurized milk turns putrid; processors must remove slime and pus from pasteurized milk by a process of centrifugal clarification. Inspection of dairy herds for disease is not required for pasteurized milk. Pasteurization was instituted in the 1920s to combat TB, infant diarrhea, undulant fever and other diseases caused by poor animal nutrition and dirty production methods. But times have changed and modern stainless steel tanks, milking machines, refrigerated trucks and inspection methods make pasteurization absolutely unnecessary for public protection. And pasteurization does not always kill the bacteria for Johne’s disease suspected of causing Crohn's disease in humans with which most confinement cows are infected. Much commercial milk is now ultra-pasteurized to get rid of heat-resistant bacteria and give it a longer shelf life. Ultra-pasteurization is a violent process that takes milk from a chilled temperature to above the boiling point in less than two seconds. Clean raw milk from certified healthy cows is available commercially in several states and may be bought directly from the farm in many more. (Sources are listed on www.realmilk.com.)

www.realmilk.com
The Untold Story of Milk, by Ron Schmid ( can be found on Amazon)​

th.gif

Okay, I don't feel so good now...no breakfast, thanks. I'm pretty sure this is all good info, unfortunately!​

I am so excited I finally found a source for raw milk as well as many other items all grown using organic methods. The company is called Uddermilk and they deliver in the nyc area. I can't wait I have heard such great things about it and am hoping that it will help with my ds's ans sisters allergies. Its amazing all the good we loose with technology everyone I tell about it looks at me like I have 2 heads and act like raw milk is poison somehow lol. I think my delivery comes on monday can't wait!!!

Quote:
Many people are able to gain health benefits by getting whole and unprocessed milk. I think the only "foolish" people in this argument are the ones willing to be lead around by the nose by the government and be dictated to about what is and is not good for them. They have their hands in enough cookie jars as it is, they can stay out out of our milk glasses.

Exactly!

Quote:
milk cows are a big responsibility, who milkes them when you travel. even with my few chickens i have to make plans for their care if i am gone for more then a day. how do you get the cows bred, do you have a bull to or is one available? that can be a problem. i would think jerseys would be the best choice

DAIRY GOATS are very easy to keep and alot of fun and very friendly I have 6. 4 due to kid this weekend raw milk taste much better IMO. all you need is a doe or 2 most people will let you barrow a buck

Kenneth Flippen

oh yeah I'm open to any all cheese recipies

Back
Top Bottom