Re: feed causing salmonella in chickens and their eggs.

Quote:
Quote:
I believe Stress, and poor poultry husbandry has a lot to do with it yes. If the birds were not confined in such tight quarters, had better ventilation and better poultry husbandry I think that they may never had that problem. Just think how fast a virus can spread in tight quarters or even in a poorly ventilated house in the winter..
Now I do know that salmonella is a bacteria and not a virus but I believe it to work about the same when you are talking about a tightly confined animal weather it be a Chicken, Dogs, Cats, Swine or Bovine... Now don't get me wrong I do not Free Range all my birds. I do have breeding and laying pens but they are well ventilated houses with adequate pen space and they do have runs attached to there pens.

I find it hard to believe my chickens, your chickens and just about every one on BYC's chickens has not eaten a rodent dropping at some point in time. Animal feed=Rodents.
Why no Salmonella?

Animal feed does = Rodents but it is how you deal with the rodents. I go to extremes to keep rodents out of my barns and pens so rodents are far and few between. But you are right chickens will eat rodent dropping at some point in time and I believe that chickens have a immunity to Salmonell when in small doses and when the bird are healthy.
Its just like with CRD all birds will have it but they will only show sines of it at times of stress or when unhealthy for some other reason.

I would like to add that contaminated feed is only one way that poultry can get salmonella.
Other animals (rats, mice, wild birds) and insects (cockroaches, flies, beetles) can carry salmonella, very good "biosecurity" is a necessity on the farm.

This just my opinion.

Chris​

I find it hard to believe my chickens, your chickens and just about every one on BYC's chickens has not eaten a rodent dropping at some point in time. Animal feed=Rodents.
Why no Salmonella?

In a country of over 300 million, and out of millions of eggs consumed, only about 1500 people reported being sick.

It's not like every one of those eggs were deadly​

Quote:
In a country of over 300 million, and out of millions of eggs consumed, only about 1500 people reported being sick.

It's not like every one of those eggs were deadly

Good point!

To me at least this again this points to the hens health.. All the chickens were eating the same food, they all may have came in contact with salmonella, but only some hens contracted it and were able to pass it to the eggs.

ON

Quote:
lau.gif

I often wonder that too... It seems to be a logical conclusion to the path CAFO agriculture is on. One day our farms will raise animals like they raised people for energy in Matrix..
ep.gif

We have had some long heated debate threads on the subject of animal byproducts in poultry feed.
hide.gif

Me personally have deep concerns over using byproducts from CAFO agriculture. I personally do not feel those animals are in good health to begin with, They are stressed, live in unnatural conditions, they have been pumped full of growth hormones and antibiotics.

However, I personally would much rather feed my birds animal protein over soy protein. I personally feel it is more natural, chickens are omnivores, and simply feel some of the amino acids found in meats are hard to get elsewhere.

Now do animal byproducts=waste? IMO in some cases I think that is true.

The Organic standard does not allow for any mammal protein to be feed to chickens. They only animal protein allowed is fish meal. Me personally have concerns about the over harvesting in our oceans.. So I try to find alternatives.. Being in Wisconsin, I find that Venison is organic and abundant. So my chickens eat venison along with a little fish meal during the winter months when no range is available.

ON

Last edited:
The egg factories are so much more intense and automated than I can imagine, i suppose.
I just love my birds and the friends who trust us and buy our eggs.

All of us 'chicken crazed' people are keeping the simple values going. So nice to have so many with their
hearts in a good place!
Thank you friends!

Quote:
The farm in question does not purchase "commercial feed" either, the manufacture their own feed in their own mill. Of course they make THOUSANDS of tons of feed per month for their chickens and hogs.

Jim

hide.gif

I stand corrected.. Thank you..

Still a good reason to buy quality small feed supplier such as yourself or to mix your own so you know the source

Any ideas on how it got contaminated?

(Again sorry.. It is hard for me to contain myself... The Pro industrialists puppy pooped on the rug again...
sad.png
I want to be sure we hold their nose to it....
lol.png
)

ON

may i ask what you put into your homemade feed? im considering trying to make my own feed for my 3 banties.. to see if its better for them and to see if it works out cheaper
smile.png

Quote:
Hi,
All my ingredients are organic but the Black Oil Sunflower. Making your own feed requires a passion for the science, and a commitment of time. My ingredients are bought in bulk at planting time. I save a little money over commercial organic feed. But not enough to justify the effort. I make my own so I have 100% control over my birds diet.
----
6 part Black Oil Sunflower (17%P)
6 part Oats (12%P)
6 parts Red Wheat (17%P)

3 part Field Peas (24%P)
3 part cracked Corn (9%P)
3 part whole Flax (34%P)
3 part Alfalfa (17%P)

.5 part Kelp
.125 Oyster shell
.125 DE
.125 Azomite

Notes:
Twice daily mash: First 3 ingredients are mixed and sprouted.
Last 8 ingredients are mixed and wetted for mash prior to mixing in with sprouts.
(Peas and corn are ground)
Proper ratio is as follows for daily serving..: 2 parts sprouts to 1 part mash.

I do grind all of the ingredients and offer 24x7 as a dry mash in feeders also.

Oyster shells are offered free choice for laying hens

Supplemented with meat or fish which when range is poor.

Supplemented with ACV, Kombucha, Yogurt or water kefir for probiotic..

Back
Top Bottom