Really bummed, and confused?

Well, I just float tested everyone, and all positive results. All low floaters only 10-15% above the water line. I didn't leave them in the water long enough to watch for any movement, that made me nervous, I don't want to risk drowning anyone!

Tomorrow is lockdown and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
fl.gif

Well, we're in lockdown. No action yet, but its only day 19-20. I sure hope something happens! It would be a real bummer if none of them hatched at all. :(

GOOD NEWS!!!! One egg has finally pipped and I hear chirps!!
yesss.gif
I was only going to give them until the weekend before giving up hope, but we're going to have at least one baby!
jumpy.gif
Its one of the shipped eggs too!!!

celebrate.gif

wee.gif

ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Uh oh... she's pipped at the wrong end?

I think I've had that happen before, but don't remember if they made it, if I had to help or what? Its been a while since I've hatched... worrying again...

fl.gif

She's still in there. Made a little progress, the hole is getting bigger. I can see her beak and she's trying, just not getting very far. I'm keeping the membrane moist with a syringe and tube through one of the vent holes. Not sure if I should help or not? Its been 16-18 hours??

Well, I ended up helping her out of the shell. She had a tiny bit of yolk sac still not absorbed, so I left her attached to it. She absorbed it, but then I saw a pink "bubble" hanging out of her butt. I thought for sure it was intestines and was prepared to cull her. A few moments later and the pink bubble has reduced in size by at least half! I left her overnight and this morning the thing is gone! She's walking around and still not completely dry, but very active. Her feet and legs seem to be okay too.

I think she's kind of a preemie, if that makes sense? She pipped the shell because she was in the wrong position/had to breathe/was nearly too big for the shell (there wasn't one bit of space left in that shell, so I don't think she was able to move much at all). I don't think she'd have been able to get out of that shell on her own. However, I do wish I would have given her a little more time, maybe loosened the shell very gradually over several hours. But of course I had no way of knowing that the yolk sac hadn't absorbed yet etc, until she was out of the shell.

The other eggs still show no activity, but after looking at the calender I see that yesterday was the original hatch day and they could be a bit late due to the early low temps. I'm not giving up hope!

Back
Top Bottom