reasons for sneezing chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Titania, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Titania

Titania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    Hello, everybody, thanks for looking! I have a question for all the more knowledgeable people out there. I've heard my chickens sneezing a bit lately out here in Oklahoma. I recently put sand in their chicken run and we have really high winds lately. Could either of those be reasons to make chickens sneeze? Or should I watch out for sicknesses? So far no discharge from eyes or nose and normal behaviors. They've been sneezing for a couple of weeks now.
    thanks!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Dusty feed, pollen, eating too fast, getting water up their nares, exposure to new wood/plywood with the chemicals/glues they use to laminate it, gasoline smells, etc, all will make them sneeze. I have one hen who has had sneezing fits for years, but has never been sick in her life.

3. Titania

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    thank you speckledhen! that does make me feel relieved...

4. speckledhen

In absence of other symptoms, I'd just assume the sneezing was environmental. Check ammonia levels in their bedding/litter, just to be sure-that can sneak up on you unless you get down on their level and sniff . [​IMG]

5. Titania

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    good advice, thank you. I put down sweet pdz & food grade de into their litter & stir twice a month. I was hoping that would take care of ammonia but I haven't actually done a sniff test! I need to do that...

6. speckledhen

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by