reasons for sneezing chickens

Titania

Songster
9 Years
Sep 28, 2010
Oklahoma City
Hello, everybody, thanks for looking! I have a question for all the more knowledgeable people out there. I've heard my chickens sneezing a bit lately out here in Oklahoma. I recently put sand in their chicken run and we have really high winds lately. Could either of those be reasons to make chickens sneeze? Or should I watch out for sicknesses? So far no discharge from eyes or nose and normal behaviors. They've been sneezing for a couple of weeks now.
thanks!

Dusty feed, pollen, eating too fast, getting water up their nares, exposure to new wood/plywood with the chemicals/glues they use to laminate it, gasoline smells, etc, all will make them sneeze. I have one hen who has had sneezing fits for years, but has never been sick in her life.

In absence of other symptoms, I'd just assume the sneezing was environmental. Check ammonia levels in their bedding/litter, just to be sure-that can sneak up on you unless you get down on their level and sniff .
smile.png

good advice, thank you. I put down sweet pdz & food grade de into their litter & stir twice a month. I was hoping that would take care of ammonia but I haven't actually done a sniff test! I need to do that...

Dusty feed, pollen, eating too fast, getting water up their nares, exposure to new wood/plywood with the chemicals/glues they use to laminate it, gasoline smells, etc, all will make them sneeze. I have one hen who has had sneezing fits for years, but has never been sick in her life.

Does this apply to nasally sounding clucking in addition to sneezing as well?

following for updates, I have one that would give the occasional sneeze for about 2 weeks now. no discharge from eyes or nose and acts normal.

Back
Top Bottom