Reasons to live in the South

Quote:
I really hate the heat here but the food is amazing. We can have grits AND huevos rancheros AND cafe con leche (cuban coffee) for breakfast.

mmmm....que sabroso
droolin.gif

Quote:
I see your Roll Tide Roll and raise you one WAAAARRRRRRRR Eagle, HEY!
big_smile.png

Actually, as sad as the tree poisoning has been, some good things have come of it. Alabama fans have raised over $50,000 on Facebook to help save or replant the trees. Students at both schools have started a tree exchange so that trees from both campuses can be shared. For it to be such a huge rivalry, it has been lovely to see how both sides have stood together during these emotionally hard times. It says a lot about the character of fans from both schools and I have found it to be very touching. The good news that we are hearing now is that the trees may yet be saved. The idiot that poisoned them did so during the dormant winter season. They found out in time to dig out the poisoned soil. Apparently they are seeing some signs of life now. Fingers crossed on that one, eh? No matter who you cheer for you do just hate to see some fool kill trees that are over 100 years old.

I actually went to Alabama for grad school. I used to tell my boss in Tuscaloosa that I was a missionary to show them the error of their athletic ways. He was not amused.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I really hate the heat here but the food is amazing. We can have grits AND huevos rancheros AND cafe con leche (cuban coffee) for breakfast.

mmmm....que sabroso
droolin.gif

Come to Arkansas in August. You'll be so glad to get back home to cool off.

Cafe con leche
droolin.gif
I make it here at home, but it's missing something.
hu.gif

Quote:

mmmm....que sabroso
droolin.gif

Cafe con leche
droolin.gif
hu.gif

I've never been there. Is it a dry heat? I stayed at a ranch for three months at 105 degrees (dry heat) and it didn't bother me at all. Here I feel like I am dying at 80 degrees.

I love the south, the food is great, the tea is the best and the people are fantastic... I enjoy the peace and quiet of living in the country. Enjoying the simple things, I never even knew existed when I lived other places. If your car happens to break down here - Everyone from the 16 year old high schooler to the the 80 year old grandmother will stop to help.

Candace

How about deep fried bull frogs? I hear they are very good.

I believe the whole friendly thing is a rural issue. Cities in the south aren't any friendlier than cities in other parts of the country. Maybe NYC and Boston would be exceptions. Of course in the south you have much more rural area than the north. The only thing really different is the weird foods which have roots in poverty. People will eat anything to stay alive and eventually they figure out a way to cook it ti make it taste good too. The south is like a nation unto itself. I would say that comes from the civil war and the events leading up to the civil war. I still want to know why you'all talk so funny though and whats the big fascination with drinking syrup?

Quote:

Cafe con leche
droolin.gif
hu.gif

I've never been there. Is it a dry heat? I stayed at a ranch for three months at 105 degrees (dry heat) and it didn't bother me at all. Here I feel like I am dying at 80 degrees.

Goodness no, it's not a dry heat at all. It's like trying to breathe underwater. Humidity values in the 90%s for days on end.

Back
Top Bottom