Reassure me! Are these a pullets or roos? Light Sussex and Welsummer.

LolaBlue

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 10, 2010
We have two Welsummers that are approx 22-24weeks old. Up until a week ago, they looked the same to me, now one has a noticably bigger comb/ wattles. Is this just a hen getting ready to lay?
22222e08.jpg

87f5cd77.jpg

Also, Charlie our Light Susex still has me stumped. When I posted pictures before, everyone guessed roo, but I'm still holding out hope. Despite being the biggest of our 6 birds, Charlie's defintiely at the bottom of the pecking order, and shows no rooish behaviour at 16ish weeks. WDYT? Still Charles or can I hope it's a Charlotte?
b992cc68.jpg

afe55429.jpg

Charlie looks Rooish to me. It is not uncommon for young roos to get picked on by the girls. He will start coming around tho. The rest look like girls to me.

The 2 Welsemmurs 100% girls,
Males look like the picture below. ( not my picture)
As far as Charlie, I believe you have a Charlotte at 16 weeks old a male LS should have a more upright stance and more Rooster features likr saddle feathers.
welsummer-20455-401714.jpg

Welsummers are girls, just maturing at different rates. Eggs for breakfast soon!

I don't know squat about Sussex, but I'd think at sixteen weeks a roo would have a redder comb. Plus the legs don't look overly thick. No obvious saddle feathers. Maybe a girl, just play the waiting game. Or, see if someone answers that knows what they're talking about lol.

Oh I'm glad Beatrice (the Wellie) is a girl! After chasing her around my neighbours backyard for 2 hours last week, I'd be really annoyed if I had to rehome her!
I really hope Charlie's a girl, s/he and Lola the SLW are best buds and I think it'd be sad to seperate them!

If Charlie is indeed a boy, would there be noticable growth in the comb and wattles in the last 2 or 3 weeks? I have a few photos from then, and I don't notice that they're any bigger or more red.
070.jpg

Back
Top Bottom