Rebeccas treeless saddle

camilleathome

Songster
7 Years
Jun 25, 2012
New Brunswick Canada
Hey guys I wanted to know what you guys thought about this type of saddle. I went to visit my horse at his previous owners house(Hes coming home in march I cant wait) and she let me ride her endurance horse(Canadian named Benjamin) with this saddle I had never seen in my life. its called a Rebeccas treeless saddle.

Im in awe at how wonderful it felt to ride using this saddle. Its like riding bareback only with stirrups and padding and leather. The only reason I didn't like riding as much as I did working from the ground was because I could never get that connection and couldn't feel the movement of the horse. With this saddle I felt that connection. It was the best most amazing ride of my life. No trotting or loping. just walking the horse. It just felt right and comfortable. I had a great seat, my knees and ankles didn't hurt from too short or cheep stirrups. It was just really really enjoyable. Also first time using split rains and I really liked them too. I hear her saddles are really affordable too(About 1000 custom new and you can get some used if you look around).

I was reading most treeless saddles have weight restrictions but found a comment about her heaviest rider being 320 pounds and 5'8". Now Bear has sway back so I cant ride him at all but we are planning on buying adleast one draft cross or light draft that I can ride(Im a heavier girl) and If Al can get some experience under his belt bear likes being ridden bareback and bitless(Always has actually just more imperative now that he has sway back). I would have no issue riding him bareback but Im scared I would be too heavy for him with swayback and all.

Last edited:
Treeless saddles are definitely gaining in popularity lately. They have their benefits and drawbacks. I wouldn't recommend them for a heavier rider, because they cannot distribute the weight as well as a treed saddle can.

I have ridden in treeless saddles, and am searching locally for one for myself. I do like their ease of use and ability to fit hard-to-fit horses. I have a very shortbacked Arab, and the treeless fits him better, as most treed saddles are too long. Right now, I am riding him in a bareback pad with stirrups ( very similar to a Little Joe Saddle: http://www.better-horsetack.com/ind...466a-8824-61b9b2d1a483&CFTOKEN=0&page=sdlinfo). My Thornhill dressage saddle would fit him perfectly, except it is too long...

Last edited:
Quote:
Ill have to lose weight(I plan to anyways). I know the rebecca is really good for distributing the weight evenly compared to others(Really even sweat pattern). I just wouldnt want to hurt a horse due to my weight. So depressing but adleast Im getting treated for sleep apnea anemia and my thyroid issues so should have more energy to exercise plus were moving onto a farm so Ill deffinetly get my exercise!

Totally my preference, but I am not sold on treeless saddles. I really don't like the idea of the horse taking the brunt of the rider's weight (regardless of what that may be) on the spine. I'm a dressage rider so I like things to be equal and even, and to me, putting a tree in and having the weight placed on both sides of the horse's back just seems better for the horse to me.

Camilleathome--don't worry about your weight, we're talking horses here, known for their strength and power--just focus on having fun!!
smile.png

Quote:
Im over 300 pounds right now so I have to make sure that the horse I have is a draft type with a good back if I want any kind of long ride. But now that Ive been diagnosed and getting treatment for my sleep ap I should be able to start losing weight. for m health and a better ride

I'm thinking of buying one of these saddles for my horse. I've read many positive reviews.

Back
Top Bottom