Received my 25 Delaware chicks today

TNpoultrybreeder

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
TN.
I am very happy to have received my 25 Delaware chicks from Meyer Hatchery today. I have only lost one chick and the rest look to be very healthy.

TNpoultrybreeder
28420_picture_010.jpg

28420_picture_006.jpg

28420_picture_003.jpg

28420_picture_001.jpg

Last edited:
Here are my Delaware chicks at one week old. Out of 25 I still have only lost 1 chick.

TNpoultrybreeder

28420_010_-_5-19-09.jpg

28420_009_-_5-19-09.jpg

Last edited:
Well, my hatchery dels are about six weeks, and smaller than both the breeder birds at that age, and much smaller than the heritage birds at that age.

They also screamingly lack correct pigment in comparison. Only two of the six pullets have yellow legs, one has a pale yellowish, the other three have the pale greenish. So I am only keeping the first three for full grow out. One is better sized than the others.

Of the breeder's birds, the pullets that I kept - three have GOOD size but poor color, however they have correct yellow legs.

Of the heritage cockerals three have great yellow legs and they're my keepers until Cyn decides which male she's keeping. One is really large but poor combed. One is nicely combed but narrow and tall, One is proportionate, shorter but wide w/ many pointed comb.

Having seen samples of all three types I can see the reasoning for going for either breeder birds or heritage birds because from hatchery stock there's going to be a ton more work to head toward the standard. I'll still keep the yellow legged pullets to see what size they get to but I wouldn't do hatchery stock again.

Good luck with yours, hope they grow large and produce enough with size and comb and yellow legs to get you going! Demented popcorn chickens are just fun.

Congrats on your Delaware kids, TN. Love to see them at about six weeks, then about 10-12 weeks. They are awesome birds, but like Cher has said, even starting with the best lines, you will have many culls to get to a great bird according to standard. There just are so few Delawares that I'd call even close to the standard, much less true show quality. It's a worthy project!!!!

Back
Top Bottom