Received my 25 Delaware chicks today

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TNpoultrybreeder, May 14, 2009.

1. TNpoultrybreeder

TNpoultrybreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    TN.
    I am very happy to have received my 25 Delaware chicks from Meyer Hatchery today. I have only lost one chick and the rest look to be very healthy.

TNpoultrybreeder [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    So cute

3. TNpoultrybreeder

Apr 18, 2009
    TN.
    Here are my Delaware chicks at one week old. Out of 25 I still have only lost 1 chick.

TNpoultrybreeder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Welcome to the world of demented popcorn chickens.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Are those marbles in the water? For less volume or for weight?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Marbles in the water are so they cant drown in the waterer.

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Well, my hatchery dels are about six weeks, and smaller than both the breeder birds at that age, and much smaller than the heritage birds at that age.

They also screamingly lack correct pigment in comparison. Only two of the six pullets have yellow legs, one has a pale yellowish, the other three have the pale greenish. So I am only keeping the first three for full grow out. One is better sized than the others.

Of the breeder's birds, the pullets that I kept - three have GOOD size but poor color, however they have correct yellow legs.

Of the heritage cockerals three have great yellow legs and they're my keepers until Cyn decides which male she's keeping. One is really large but poor combed. One is nicely combed but narrow and tall, One is proportionate, shorter but wide w/ many pointed comb.

Having seen samples of all three types I can see the reasoning for going for either breeder birds or heritage birds because from hatchery stock there's going to be a ton more work to head toward the standard. I'll still keep the yellow legged pullets to see what size they get to but I wouldn't do hatchery stock again.

Good luck with yours, hope they grow large and produce enough with size and comb and yellow legs to get you going! Demented popcorn chickens are just fun.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Congrats on your Delaware kids, TN. Love to see them at about six weeks, then about 10-12 weeks. They are awesome birds, but like Cher has said, even starting with the best lines, you will have many culls to get to a great bird according to standard. There just are so few Delawares that I'd call even close to the standard, much less true show quality. It's a worthy project!!!!

9. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Good start![​IMG]

10. TNpoultrybreeder

Apr 18, 2009
    TN.
    Quote:If you dont care for me asking, what hatchery did you get your Delaware chicks from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by