Received my 25 Delaware chicks today

Quote:
I was pondering rooster temperaments earlier today, with our 8 week old Salmon favorelles (4 pullets, 3 cockerels). I'm going to keep one roo with the four girls, put one in a mix pen, and rehome the third.

How old do they need to be so that you can more accurately gauge their adult personality? One of the little guys is completely precocious, very much a gentleman, friendly and unafraid, and watches out for all the others, as well as calls them to food and doesn't eat, already. He is the most calm around people, but also charged my 3 year old (who was shooing one of the pullets back into the pen and she let out a cry of fear). He's the clear favorite, but I hope he doesn't end up very aggressive.

I have six happy little delaware chicks (send me pullet vibes) I thought I had only five but somehow in the hatching confusion I miscounted!

You really need to let the hormones begin to flow, from 15-16 weeks and up to maybe 25-26 weeks old. My boys in this group, at least most of them, seemed to develop early and it became clear who was the calmest personality at about 14-15 weeks old. That doesn't mean I'm completely out of the woods with my now 16 week old cockerel, Isaac, but so far, he's a peach of a boy. He was not the friendliest one early on, though. The friendliest one of the entire bunch began showing aggression as he matured. Sorry, TN, for the mini-hijack!

I'm loving my Dels as well - Hi from near Knoxville TN. My girls are just a bit younger than the boys I got from Cyn. Two of the boys are still keepers and being "judged" for eventual temperament.

Luciano is the front runner and has begun crowing when George (PR) is far enough away but it always brings George running. And Gallant my runner up, who is a quieter bird, less fond of being picked up be seeming calmer.

The girls are probably 14 weeks and 11 weeks and their size is impressive for their ages. Bigger than my PRs were at their ages by a long shot.

I haven't decided on my final cut for the girls but it's close now. The boys I'm hanging on to a bit longer, don't want to make a mistake and end up with an aggressive male.

Goofus the third place Roo is quiet but faulted and I think he's quiet because if he made a sound or acted out the other three would whoop him.

Sorry to chimein late, but I have 5 Dels from a May 25 hatch and we are impressed by how fast they are filling out.

The sons may wish to exhibit them in our small county fair next year. I have seen the APA standard picture. Am I really looking for that much black baring across the shoulders? Our birds wings seem to have more barred feathers than the shoulders at this point. Do I have bad quality birds? (got to figure out how to post a picture....)

I will be keeping a few to hatch eggs from if only to get these nice growthy meaty birds (sorry to admit it on the pet side of the site), even if they do not approach the APA standard.

Thanks all here for the help, the site has been a blessing so far!

New to chickens but very interested in these threads about improving breeds. Here's a few pix of my hatchery Delaware - can you educate me on what she SHOULD look like? I got her June 4 from our local feed store. I believe the hatchery is Belt in Fresno.

Her legs look more pink-ish in the picture - they're more yellow than they show here but am assuming they should be almost a crayola gold-yellow?

26444_lily_legs.jpg

She was not too pleased about her portrait session. Of my four chicks, she has the most interesting and varied vocalisations. I believe she is the "head chick" of the group - they all seem to follow her lead. She is the least happy of them about being held.

26444_lily_profile.jpg

26444_lily_close_up.jpg

Her wing markings:

26444_lily_wings.jpg

Just remember that Delawares' color evolves over time, folks. What they are like at six weeks is vastly different than 16 weeks and also different than at full maturity. TN, you have a nice chunky boy in the front of that picture!

Leg color is one trait to breed for. The legs should be a bright yellow, however, some are more dull yellow and some even look greenish. That is what you would cull for as you improve your stock.

TN, your chicks are really growing! Cyn is right, their coloring changes quite a bit as they mature. It's a guessing game until then. I guess You probably haven't had a chance to really evaluate their temperaments yet since you've been working so much, but I bet you'll love them.

Back
Top Bottom