Received my box of dying chicks today!!

I ordered from Meyer and got them after 3 days and they were all dead. It was very sad and I just asked for a refund because I didn't want to kill more chicks. The box was too big and they weren't packed well.

I ordered from Ideal and everybody arrived just fine and were VERY well packed.

Quote:
What little hope I had for my replacements from Meyer arriving safely has just died.
sad.png
They are supposed to ship May 11th, if they don't arrive by the 12th I'm just going to start crying.

Meyer had a really good reputation for bird quality and on time shipping. In the last 2 weeks there have been so many people on here getting late, mostly dead orders. Once or twice is the post office, so many is Meyer. I wondered what happened to their service?

I got mine from Meyer on Wed evening, they were hatched on Monday morning but didn't get mailed till tuesday morning. When I called, they told me they didn't get shipped till Tuesday morning because they had so many orders suppose to go out Monday afternoon that they had to ship part of them on Tuesday. I ended up losing 3 of 26 (ordered 25) but I did not call for replacements. I was going to call if I lost any more. The rest seem to be very active and eating, drinking, and pooping fine.

newchickmom, even if you don't want replacements you should call the hatchery for refunds. Most hatcheries are very good about that. I had the two I lost in February refunded to me since I didn't want to replace them and get 23 packing peanuts!

i lost my last chick last nite! as i posted earlier.....4 out of the nine i got in the mail were still alive (barely), and now 3 days later they have all died. my reshipment is May 11. if this happens again, i will NEVER purchase thru the mail again. it is not a good experience as a first time chick 'n eer....... while i realize young healthy chicks need lots of care and attention, i dont feel as tho we should have to overly nurse, and bring back to life dying ones sent in the mail.....

sorry for venting......

I can't say all or even most, but my local feed store, where I got 18 healthy chicks last Thursday, receives all their baby chicks through the mail. The USPS regulations say that for day old chicks, they must be mailed within 24 hours of being hatched. Must be able to be received by the customer within 72 hours. And must not be mailed on a day that they would be received on a Sunday. Perfect world, anyway.... But the Post Office trys to ensure their safety, and that they don't suffer in transit.

This year and previously I bought very robust chicks from TSC and yes, they get them in the mail.
One of the employees, however, told me a few horror stories about mailed chicks. I'm sure for the most part it's ok. It's just sad when not.

Quote:
Before writing off mail order chicks, give another hachtery a try. I got chicks last september and all arrived fine the third day after shipment. I personally think that the hot weather and maybe slow acting PO employees could have played a role in your experience. I would only order from a hatchery that sends out express though. Worked at the PO as a temp employee so I saw first hand that express and priority got better care. If fragile was written on the box, they chucked it little harder.

Sorry for you loss. Don't give up.

I didn't mean to sound SO discouraging! I am very sorry for your losses and I sincerely hope you get a great bunch of chicks from Meyer this time. I'm not sure who was slow, but I opted for a full refund.

All the Ideal chicks I ordered are doing great and growing fast. I didn't lose a single one! Meyer has a good reputation and I just assume I had a bad experience.

They were very nice when I called to report the situation. My mail man said when he got the box he never heard them peep and he came to my house first thing in the morning to drop them off and watched me open the box because he was concerned. I really think Meyer may need packing lessons, or something.

Back
Top Bottom