By the photo I'd say she was black too, but in person the blue might be more obvious. I have a Blue English Orpington that I knew was a Blue the first time I saw a picture of him. His breeder swore up and down he was black. I was so pleased when the girls started laying and she hatched Splash chicks out. lol
Glad that worked out in your favor! 😁
My ShowGirl in the pic had a Black Silkie Rooster Dad (or at least I thought he was black…. Now I’m wondering if he was Blue. I don’t have him anymore so I can’t go look.) and a Buff/Black Naked Neck Mom. I never would’ve thought that Black X Buff/Black would’ve made a Blue chick but….🤷🏻‍♀️ Trying to figure out color genetics gives me a headache sometimes. Lol.

I would discard any Possibility of the white parents. The paint in silkies is a phenotype that requires a specific combination of genes, Dominant black in homozygous state(E/E) and Dominant White in Heterozygous form(I/i+), the breeding of two paint parents produces 50% Paint, 25% Black and 25% Solid white, that means that if you cross a recessive white Silkie(almost 100% of them are partridge underneath) with Solid white Silkie(from paint breeding) you will end up with paint like chicks(yellow with a few back spots on the chick down) thats because they will be E/eb, I/i+

I would discard any Possibility of the white parents. The paint in silkies is a phenotype that requires a specific combination of genes, Dominant black in homozygous state(E/E) and Dominant White in Heterozygous form(I/i+), the breeding of two paint parents produces 50% Paint, 25% Black and 25% Solid white, that means that if you cross a recessive white Silkie(almost 100% of them are partridge underneath) with Solid white Silkie(from paint breeding) you will end up with paint like chicks(yellow with a few back spots on the chick down) thats because they will be E/eb, I/i+
Ok. Thank you!

I'm also trying to figure out the silkie genetics :)

What would you get if you cross the paint like silkie chicks with a true paint silkie?

Back
Top Bottom