Recommended Bird(s) for 8 Year Old

Pics

Smuvers Farm

Melvin Up the Taterhole
Feb 16, 2017
TN/Western KY Border
My 8 year old son has recently been around my moms pair of cockatiels daily for about 3 months. Her birds are aged 11 y/o and about 2.5 y/o. She has raised the 11 y/o from baby and the 2.5 y/o since he was 6 months old.

Neither of them are friendly AT ALL, which has kind of scared me off cockatiels.... however, kiddo fell in love with having indoor birds. (We have chickens, which he fully participates in the feeding and care of).

We have a cage we bought for my moms birds that remained at our home when she returned to FL. It's quite large:

20171013_130522.jpg 20171013_130504.jpg

I'd like to get him 1-2 birds that he can hand train. Can y'all recommend a few different breeds that I can read up on? I am not looking at pricy or rare breeds. I'd like them to be trainable, friendly, outgoing, able to imprint on more than one human (both of my mom's birds BARELY like her, hate everyone else), won't live 150 years and are pretty to look at.

Parakeets are good for kids , when they bite it's not that bad. Bigger birds can break finger bones. Plus parakeets come in several different colors and don't cost lots of $

X3

Young parakeets are easily tamable and very friendly. They also don't usually live for move than 8-9 years. They are also not very messy, and easily cared for! Parakeets and budgies are the same thing, they're pretty much just different names. I get my parakeets for $20 but it definitely depends on where you live and get them from. Their chirp sounds really nice too! I would definitely recommend doing some digging and finding a breeder. I have to tell you, they're pretty inexpensive, but they have such huge personalities! :)

Thanks for the responses. After a very quick search, I agree. Parakeet/budgies it is. 2 more QUICK questions:

1. Is PetSmart a reliable source for purchasing them? There are no breeders in my area (I'd have to drive almost 2 hours to get one).

2. OR, is there a reliable breeder y'all know of that would ship?

Thank you @Junochick @chicken4prez @Coturnix Quail

Thanks for the responses. After a very quick search, I agree. Parakeet/budgies it is. 2 more QUICK questions:

1. Is PetSmart a reliable source for purchasing them? There are no breeders in my area (I'd have to drive almost 2 hours to get one).

2. OR, is there a reliable breeder y'all know of that would ship?

Thank you @Junochick @chicken4prez @Coturnix Quail
If you were to get them at PetSmart I would handle the bird more than usual. We got ours at a place like there and if we snuggled them and stuff like that they will be more friendly. Everyone does have their own opinion about it though. One of our budgies give kisses!

Back
Top Bottom