Recommended Bird(s) for 8 Year Old

I am glad your researching parakeets, some of them can talk. They are sweethearts and so pretty. I have a feeling your child will love them. Please post pics of the new family member when they come home. They are easy to sex there cere is blue for boy and a pinkish tan for girls.

And the green ones?

Here's the best website for budgie/parakeet information:
https://www.cutelittlebirdiesaviary.com/
The drop down menus can be a bit annoying but it's packed with information.

It's especially helpful if you are trying to sex a young budgie as their cere is a different colour to the adults and it can be a different colour than 'normal' depending on the mutations they are displaying.

Here's the best website for budgie/parakeet information:
https://www.cutelittlebirdiesaviary.com/
The drop down menus can be a bit annoying but it's packed with information.

It's especially helpful if you are trying to sex a young budgie as their cere is a different colour to the adults and it can be a different colour than 'normal' depending on the mutations they are displaying.

Thank you very much! I'm not sure kiddo really cares about the sex, other than wanting something pretty. ha!

Pionus are great kid birds but more expensive.

Be careful about your cages bar spacing, I tried to pop some impulse purchased lovebirds into a too big cage once, ended up playing chase all day. Also, can't recommend lovebirds. At ALL.

Honestly, I think I've pretty much owned all the parakeet colors! There's white, (with sometimes light blue bellies) there's green, (with yellow bellies) there's yellow, (with green bellies) there's blue, (all sorts of shades!) and sometimes, they have pastel like blue and yellow budgies! This list goes on and on because their color can be lighter or darker and change their appearance. Let us know when you plan on getting them! :)

Budgies are great little birds. Bear in mind that all birds are individuals, some are more sociable/like being handled than others. If you get a young bird, he should be able to train it to be handled and tame. That's the advantage of getting a hand-raised bird, they are already used to being "manhandled" and you don't have to put in the hard yards to get them to trust you.

I'll also chime in for weiros (cockatiels) despite your mum's ones not being that friendly. They are terrific birds, and they can be trained to be tame, same as budgies.

"Chicken math" can also apply to pet birds. One bird turns into 2 turns into 3 turns into.....
:D

"Chicken math" can also apply to pet birds. One bird turns into 2 turns into 3 turns into.....
I have a pigeon with a hurt wing (feral bird) that I still don't know if I will be releasing it or not (can't tell male from female, thus calling it "it") and I am already planning a pigeon loft and trying to figure out how to get more...

Honestly, I think I've pretty much owned all the parakeet colors! There's white, (with sometimes light blue bellies) there's green, (with yellow bellies) there's yellow, (with green bellies) there's blue, (all sorts of shades!) and sometimes, they have pastel like blue and yellow budgies! This list goes on and on because their color can be lighter or darker and change their appearance. Let us know when you plan on getting them! :)

We will be looking for blue ones with as many stripes on their head (closer to the beak) as possible. He really wants blue. I would like a green one. He asked about if getting a boy and a girl in the same cage would make babies. I told him they'd have little eggs we could eat, then he could brag to his friends that he *ate a dozen eggs for breakfast and he's STILL hungry!!* :lau TOTALLY grossed him out:sick

Budgies are great little birds. Bear in mind that all birds are individuals, some are more sociable/like being handled than others. If you get a young bird, he should be able to train it to be handled and tame. That's the advantage of getting a hand-raised bird, they are already used to being "manhandled" and you don't have to put in the hard yards to get them to trust you.

I'll also chime in for weiros (cockatiels) despite your mum's ones not being that friendly. They are terrific birds, and they can be trained to be tame, same as budgies.

Yeah, we told DH ONE, but we're thinking THREE... you know, just to *fill the cage*....:wee

We will be looking for blue ones with as many stripes on their head (closer to the beak) as possible. He really wants blue. I would like a green one. He asked about if getting a boy and a girl in the same cage would make babies. I told him they'd have little eggs we could eat, then he could brag to his friends that he *ate a dozen eggs for breakfast and he's STILL hungry!!* :lau TOTALLY grossed him out:sick

Yeah, we told DH ONE, but we're thinking THREE... you know, just to *fill the cage*....:wee

Aw! Blue comes in many different shades, and when the stripes are right against their beak, it looks soooo cute!! Green is really pretty too! :) Let us know when you plan on getting them!

Back
Top Bottom