Recommended Bird(s) for 8 Year Old

I loved my cocktails.... I had two. One male and one female..... The male would not let you pet him but he lived to hang out on my shoulder and sing/talk, lol.

I would love to get budgies someday..... But I would totally go for another cocktail!

Wish you the best with your hopefully soon to be birds.

Yeah, we told DH ONE, but we're thinking THREE... you know, just to *fill the cage*....:wee
If your son wants a tame bird to "hang out" with him, it's easier with just one bird. When they have more of their own type, they prefer hanging out with each other than with people. I have several budgies and I let them hang out together in an aviary, they are not tame, but you need to decide whether you want the bird for training as a "hands-on" pet, or are happy to have them fly about with each other and you just watch.

EDIT BTW for multiple budgies a long cage is best, rather than a tall one, they fly along. Weiros are ok in a tall cage, they like to climb about.

Last edited:
If your son wants a tame bird to "hang out" with him, it's easier with just one bird. When they have more of their own type, they prefer hanging out with each other than with people. I have several budgies and I let them hang out together in an aviary, they are not tame, but you need to decide whether you want the bird for training as a "hands-on" pet, or are happy to have them fly about with each other and you just watch.

EDIT BTW for multiple budgies a long cage is best, rather than a tall one, they fly along. Weiros are ok in a tall cage, they like to climb about.

That's true.. But they'll still become tame, it'll just take some more time. About the cage thing, that's right too, but it's a pretty big cage and I'm sure if they're going to be tame as they're expected to be, they'll be spending most of their time outside of their cage.

That's true.. But they'll still become tame, it'll just take some more time. About the cage thing, that's right too, but it's a pretty big cage and I'm sure if they're going to be tame as they're expected to be, they'll be spending most of their time outside of their cage.

Well, that's kind of doubtful.... even though I'm sure the kiddo would love that. We have 2 cats and 2 dogs. We had already agreed that he could have the birds outside of the cage AS LONG AS no other animals are in his room and his bedroom door is closed.

So, still one bird or two?

IMO, I would say two. Parakeets are extremely social birds, and sometimes, if they're not with you most of the time, they could actually become depressed. But, that's really up to you and what you think would work best, as @potato chip said, 2 parakeets would prefer each other more over human companionship. Now, that doesn't mean they'll hate you, they'll just like keeping to themselves more often. It's just to keep them happy, because if it ends up being a grumpy parakeet, than your son might not want to play with it as often.

Why not start with one and see how it goes? I didn't find my budgies to be all territorial over their cage(s) or unwelcoming to new friends, so you could get another/more budgie friend(s) later on. Your son's only young and obviously doesn't have any extensive bird training background so as to work with taming/training 2 birds. It is hard enough putting in the time and effort with one bird to focus on, rather than 2.

It's still fun to have the birds "not tame" to look at and talk to. I don't handle my weiros, but they are "tame" in that they know who I am and "have conversations" with me. Small birds are naturally afraid of us "big monsters", we can change that with time and effort to get them used to being handled. I just didn't feel that it was necessary for me to impose on them. If he wants to work with the bird and have it step up and accept being handled, I'd just get one.

Thanks for the responses. After a very quick search, I agree. Parakeet/budgies it is. 2 more QUICK questions:

1. Is PetSmart a reliable source for purchasing them? There are no breeders in my area (I'd have to drive almost 2 hours to get one).

2. OR, is there a reliable breeder y'all know of that would ship?

Thank you @Junochick @chicken4prez @Coturnix Quail
I would look at the birds. Sometimes, the pet smart does a great job, other times not so much. If they are healthy, but them. If not there is Craigslist, and I am sure you have a local breeder in your area somewhere. There always is one or two.

I would look at the birds. Sometimes, the pet smart does a great job, other times not so much. If they are healthy, but them. If not there is Craigslist, and I am sure you have a local breeder in your area somewhere. There always is one or two.

Our PetSmart here is less than a month old, so I'm sure it isn't in the toilet yet..... lol... but we'll look! Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom