recovering wetpox hen?

lotsofloveforchickens

Songster
5 Years
Mar 17, 2018
my hen had wet pox and is now recovering. her mouth lesions are all gone her scab on her beak came off today and her eye has stopped being watery. now that she is on her road to recovery how long do I have to wait to put her back with the other hens. I don't want any other hen to catch it. please help

You want to make sure she's fully recovered and healed. By that I mean eating and drinking normally. You dont want a weak bird returned to the flock. The others will pick on her and possibly injure or kill her. You can supplement her feed with Pro Bios dispersible powder or add Poultry Nutri drench to her water to help build up her strength and immune system.

The primary vector for fowl pox are mosquitoes. The scabs in litter can remain infectious for up to a year or longer. It is not a horizontally transmitted disease like AI.

Vacinate your birds. Its the only almost sure way to prevent the remainder of the flock from having it

The primary vector for fowl pox are mosquitoes. The scabs in litter can remain infectious for up to a year or longer. It is not a horizontally transmitted disease like AI.

Vacinate your birds. Its the only almost sure way to prevent the remainder of the flock from having it
I have read that her feathers and dander can remain infectious also have you heard of this? she is almost done with molting but still is losing feathers.

I have read that her feathers and dander can remain infectious also have you heard of this? she is almost done with molting but still is losing feathers.
That is misinformation. Once your birds are done with fowl pox, they are immune to that particular strain. However it's possible to get infected with pigeon pox, canary pox etc...
If I'm not mistaken, current vaccinations only prevent fowl pox and pigeon pox in turkey's and chickens, but not against canary pox etc...only IF the birds were PROPERLY vaccinated.

Back
Top Bottom