Recurring impacted crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 5templetonchicks, Apr 4, 2018.

1. 5templetonchicks

5templetonchicks In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2018
    I, too, dealt with a recurring impacted crop after my hen recovered from surgery. I withheld food for 24 hours, kept her inside, and massaged her crop. She actually vomited several times, but it was just food mixed with liquid, and did not smell bad, so it was not a sour crop. When it did not improve, i took her back to the vet, who offered to siphon the crop content out. He did say, it was very likely that it was going to happen again. Based on that, we decided to put her to sleep. I just could not see her suffer like this, going forward, nor could I afford the associated expense. He did perform a postmortem, which confirmed a flaccid crop muscle, likely as a result of the initial impact ion. The food present in her crop would ordinarily not be the cause for an impaction.

2. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma ♡Ducks♡, enough said.

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    I'm so sorry for your loss:hit

3. 5templetonchicks

Feb 2, 2018

4. 5templetonchicks

Feb 2, 2018
    Thank you. I do miss her. She was such a sweet hen, and she was the first in my little flock to lay the most beautiful green egg. Now I’m down to 3. Thankfully they all seem to be thriving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: