Recurring Pasty butt?? Please help

Broody Bist

Songster
May 7, 2018
I'm really worried about one of my new D'uccle chicks. We've raised plenty of chicks, and I've had my fair share of pasty butt. We always treat it the same way, and it usually works just fine. But Marguerite (my porcelain baby) has been having pasty butt over and over and over. We clean her off every time, just like all our chicks before, we use the hair-dryer on her rear end feathers so her temp doesn't drop (on low, of course), we put vaseline so the poop doesn't stick (this is completely safe, we've done it on all of our chickens and they are happy and healthy).
The thing is, the recurring pasty butt isn't her only problem. On top of that, she's a lot more wobbly and unsteady on her feet than the others. Also, every time she goes to poop (even when her rear end is completely clean) she just squats there and makes pitiful chirping noises, and no poop comes out. Almost like when a hen is having trouble laying an egg. The chicks are almost a week old now, the others are already flying around. I see Marguerite being active sometimes, and she eats and drinks fine. They always have clean food and water, a heat lamp that is plenty warm, and a spot to escape the heat. I don't know what else to do for her, can anyone help???? :hit:hit

Add some raw oats or ground cornmeal to your chicks' feed. Both are thought to help both prevent and treat pasty butt. Just a sprinkle in the feed should do it, but for severe cases, you can add up to half and half feed to oats and/or cornmeal.
Add some probiotic powder to the feed to help balance gut bacteria and prevent diarrhea. A 2% probiotic/feed ratio is recommended.
Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar per quart of water to help prevent pasty butt and offer that to your chicks when you first bring them home. :)

Add some raw oats or ground cornmeal to your chicks' feed. Both are thought to help both prevent and treat pasty butt. Just a sprinkle in the feed should do it, but for severe cases, you can add up to half and half feed to oats and/or cornmeal.
Add some probiotic powder to the feed to help balance gut bacteria and prevent diarrhea. A 2% probiotic/feed ratio is recommended.
Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar per quart of water to help prevent pasty butt and offer that to your chicks when you first bring them home. :)
I've heard of the Apple cider vinegar thing, never heard of the other things. Thank you!! I'm really worried about her.

UPDATE!!

This is a little update for anyone reading this thread that might be dealing with the same problem and is looking for a solution. I always wish people would do this when I look through old threads, so I thought I’d do it myself!!

First, Marguerite turned out to be a he. His name is now Dude, he is alive and well and a feisty little thing.

Now flash back to when he was Marguerite. To help him, we mixed a little bit of coconut oil with his chick starter and tried to get him to eat some (if they aren’t having it, you just have to force a little bit of coconut oil into their beak, gently though). We kept cleaning the poo off his rear and drying the feathers, then applying Vaseline.

We repeated this until he was old enough to be outside. At that point we decided we couldn’t keep bringing him in the house for a cleaning and we would have to hope he stays clean. He did, and still is, and his rump is nice and poofy!
Hope this helps someone :hugs

Back
Top Bottom