Red Bourbon Turkeys - Winter

Feleena

Chirping
Aug 3, 2015
We have a pair of Red Bourbons...we are keeping them as pets and they have a coop and a run to be in...they have a roost in the run that they jump up and down off of throughout the day and look over the property lol. My question is winter...they have bald heads...I live in Canada where it can get cold and by cold I mean frigid for a while. Will they be able to go outside on their roost still??

We have a pair of Red Bourbons...we are keeping them as pets and they have a coop and a run to be in...they have a roost in the run that they jump up and down off of throughout the day and look over the property lol. My question is winter...they have bald heads...I live in Canada where it can get cold and by cold I mean frigid for a while. Will they be able to go outside on their roost still??
I have read that alot of peoples Turkeys roost in trees and refuse the coop all winter in Northern USA... First winter for me w/turkeys.
@duluthralphie can give you more thoughts..he keeps his in a coop in Minnesota.. or trys to when they don't take over the pole barn LOL

Hi,,

I have a lot of turkeys, I live in Minnesota. We get some pretty nasty blizzards here. The majority of my Turkeys refuse to go indoors in the winter. They sit out on fence lines or roof tops in the worst of weather. It does not seem to bother them. I have never had a turkey lose it's snood the way a rooster loses his comb.

You should be fine wherever they decide to stay. Turkeys can be somewhat stubborn, if you hadn't figured that out yet.

You should join us on the turkey talk thread..
\

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/966414

Ok great!! Thanks!!
1f60a.png

Hi,,

I have a lot of turkeys, I live in Minnesota. We get some pretty nasty blizzards here. The majority of my Turkeys refuse to go indoors in the winter. They sit out on fence lines or roof tops in the worst of weather. It does not seem to bother them. I have never had a turkey lose it's snood the way a rooster loses his comb.

You should be fine wherever they decide to stay.  Turkeys can be somewhat stubborn, if you hadn't figured that out yet.

You should join us on the turkey talk thread..
\

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/966414

Back
Top Bottom