1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red chick feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Roxanne9, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Roxanne9

Roxanne9 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    Not sure if this is an emergency or not? My Buff Orpington chick has very red toes/feet. She was found off the nest, cold, barely hanging on. Brought her in, syringe fed electrolytes and warmed her up. Seems perky and fine now, except the red feet. She will move around but doesn't seem to like it.[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It looks like her feet may have frostbite. Try soaking them in a warm epsom salts bath. You can apply Vetericyn, triple antibiotic ointment or honey to the feet. Keep her on clean dry bedding - the paper towels(?) you have her on looks good.

@Blooie has a very good article on a small chick with frostbite- she has photos and instructions on treatment:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/frostbitten-feet-the-adventures-of-scout

Here's more info on frostbite:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

3. Roxanne9

May 2, 2016
    She died. I doubt it was frostbite, it was only around 40-45 degrees and she was only off the nest for maybe an hour. Still too cold for a chick alone, but I didn't think it was cold enough for frostbite?

4. Traveler17

Traveler17 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    Try to keep the coop hot enought to the chicks

5. Roxanne9

May 2, 2016
    They're all inside now. Warm and toasty. I just hate I've lost two. :(

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

You mention that you have lost 2? How did they other one go?

7. Roxanne9

May 2, 2016
    We found them at the same time. The Wyandotte was already dead,the buff was barely moving. I'm assuming it was off the nest a bit longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by