Red Cochin (bantam) as chick?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lotje, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Lotje

Lotje In the Brooder

Hope I'm posting this question in the right sub forum...

Does anyone know what a red Cochin (bantam) looks like when it's +/- 5 weeks old? Are they supposed to be really red? I think I might have one, but I'm not sure, maybe he's too pale.

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Songster

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    picture will help

Tim

3. Lotje

Lotje In the Brooder

Here it is:
    [​IMG]

Compared to my buff chicks:
    [​IMG]

4. Here's ours, I was told it could be a bad red or bad dark buff. The color is not to standard, she was around 2mo. in pic. I like her, anyway sweet bird. I have a lil buddy for her same color.[​IMG] hope that helps.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    That's a red cochin- looks fine to me. I have BBS the same age and they are a little lighter than the adults. Gotta love the cochins!

6. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Heres mine he's a little bit older than three months more like 4 (excuse the seramas)

[​IMG]

7. Lotje

Lotje In the Brooder

@ Chicky Mama: she's cute! Please do post a picture when she gets older! [​IMG]

Quote:But his dad is buff and his mother is red. So can he technically, be red? Or will he just be very dark buff?

Quote:Serama's excused! [​IMG] He's handsome! I think mine will turn out pretty much the same. [​IMG]

Edit: a recent picture of the little dude, 6 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  8. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Wow!! What a beautiful picture. I am so jealous of everyone with these great cameras... mine's a 12 mp piece of $%^&!!! I can't get a clear pic for anything!

9. IzzyMom

IzzyMom Songster

May 17, 2012
    New Mexico
    Thank you so much for posting this picture!! We have a chick that was raised with silkie bantams, but was obviously NOT a silkie :) So glad to know WHAT she is now - and it was your picture that sealed the deal. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: