red face = getting ready to lay??

Arkansas81

Songster
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Central Arkansas
my girls are looking redder than usual, more plump, and seeming to maybe making the "egg" song? i believe they are around 4 months old? i dont have any nesting boxes yet and was thinking i wasnt going to need them till aug at the earliest? they are super sweet and docile...just cnt wait till eggs acumin!

Louise

lacey

lola

these are only some of my girls...but any insight will be great!! thanx

I would get nesting boxes ready, those combs and wattles can develop over night once the hormones kick in! Are they squatting yet? My girls started squatting and about 2 weeks later they started laying.

Yep, my red Sexlink looked just like yours, and I put the laying box in the coop ready to go. She started getting into it and turning around, making chicken sounds. Later that day, I had my first egg. She did the squatting thing, too, for a week or so, too. Another thing I learned to watch for from BYC (love this community). I've got my third egg in a row today.

My road island red is getting redder, too, and her comb and wattle are getting bigger. I'm hoping soon to see two eggs in the box. Isn't it egg citing? Let us know what else your girls do!:D

Judging by the comb and wattles it seems you may have a little more time before an egg.This is a pic of my barred rock who I expect to be laying any t
time now she was 17 weeks in the pic she is now 18weeks 2 days with her comb much larger now this week and she is squating. most of my girls look like this while a few others are just slightly pink and very small combs and wattles

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom