Red Foxes! How do I get rid of them?

Pics

Pinfeathersgeek

Songster
5 Years
Jun 29, 2015
We have always had foxes around gray's and reds we've had our chickens for just over 10 years and never had an issue with the gray fox or the red fox until 2 months ago when the red fox had killed 2 Hens.Then this past week we've seen 2 red fox one looks sickly it's tail is like a stick no hair on it and a normal looking one. One of them got another hen and was in the process of trying to grab another Hen 2 days later when my Husband ran up and scared it off and it let go of our Hen she's unharmed.. Since then we've shut them in our small run that my Husband covered the top with wire. They're relentless coming constantly all day when my Husband isn't standing guard outside with them and we hear our Rooster going crazy crowing our German Shepherds run look out the bedroom window and then run to the backdoor to get outside to run over to the pen we have chased the Healthy looking fox off all day! He keeps coming back we see where it killed a morning dove as it's got feather collection piles just inside the woods Help help help!! Our chickens have always free ranged every afternoon and now their not able to leave the run.any suggestions on how to get them to move on??? I truly appreciate any suggestions that would help us save our flock.

It will not move on.
But if you kill it, another will take over its territory. Maybe even a hungrier one.

How protected is your coop?
Not good at all our outer pen is only 4' tall and is just a hop for the fox to get in. I told my Husband that we either cut the trees down in that pen and build
It will not move on.
But if you kill it, another will take over its territory. Maybe even a hungrier one.

How protected is your coop?
Not at all there are trees in the pen that are shade for them the fence is only 4' and just a hop to the fox to get in. I've told my Husband that we have to cut them down and build a totally covered pen possibly buying a carport covering to use as the top. So unless we kill them they won't stop and we must build a completely enclosed pen/coop for them and not be sure that they could free range safety again. :(

So unless we kill them they won't stop

But, as I said, killing does not usually stop them...
Don't think I don't care. My ENTIRE flock was massacred by a fox just a few months ago.
I still miss them 😢
If I though it would help, I'd say KILL IT. But it won't really help, sorry.

Try digging your fence into the ground, and making it 6'' tall. What is the coop like?

Sounds like mange or possibly rabies on those ratty looking foxes. I’d be careful when going out to chase them off, as well as making sure your dog stays safe. I’d say that Fox needs to be dispatched, it’s got a taste for chicken now, it won’t just move on.
Thank you We were worried that was going to be the answer I'm trying to contact a person who is a taxidermist and was interested in coming and trapping or hunting them for us. Haven't been able to get a response from him as of yet. My Husband said that one has mange and hopefully will die from it but the other one really is very brazen in stopping in the yard and looking at me as I'm running at it yelling and clapping then it runs.

But, as I said, killing does not usually stop them...
Don't think I don't care. My ENTIRE flock was massacred by a fox just a few months ago.
I still miss them 😢
If I though it would help, I'd say KILL IT. But it won't really help, sorry.

Try digging your fence into the ground, and making it 6'' tall. What is the coop like?
The coop is secure and we lock them up every night. I'm so so sorry for your loss😪 Blue the last hen that was killed was one of our last original Hens she was the Best.

Back
Top Bottom