red heat bulb or clear heat bulb

jack123

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 15, 2007
i got some newly hatched chicks .. i was wandering which heat bulb is better? ... a red heat bulb or clear heat bulb .. i hear that one of those bulbs ( not sure which one) gives chicks eye problems later on when they get older .. which bulb would you recommend ?

I used a ceramic heat "bulb" = no light at all.

I wanted NO LIGHT so as to not let the chicks get used to light 24/7 as they would be moved to a coop without lights sooner or later.......

The ceramic "bulb" I used was made for reptiles.... we didn't use it very much as my chicks arrived in August and it was still pretty warm.
They're now LONG out in the coop and happy without light, no fussing no period to get used to the difference.

That is just what worked for me.

RED - BUT
How many chicks and how big is the brooder????

A 250 heat light was made for a large number of chicks in a large brooder area.

I use regular light bulbs with my brooder set ups.
I prefer the yellow bug lights.

I made 3 of these. To attach the wire I drilled holes in the lid and used zip strips. $10

101649512.jpg

This is twice as big as the one in the Picture above it is a big x-mas tree tote $20

274369575.jpg

OUT DOOR BROODER
Its hard to see but I stapled on super thick clear plastic to keep the heat in.
If I did not have a hen to help care for these chicks I would
use 2 lights and 2 bulbs that way if one blows they will be OK
because they would still have one heat source.

289999295.jpg

289999292.jpg

We have one of each (bulb wise)....our chickens were hatched May 1st of this yr. I was panicking about them being cold outside in the coop....they do tend to go right to the light at night (the heat lamp one). They like the regular light when the temp is a little warmer and can roost on the sticks above the coop (we live in Ohio) and we never now what the temp really will be. I'm a weenie, though..grew up in an upscale community and now live in the country(on a farm..hehehe)...and LOVE it! Trying to learn as I go! So far they are laying eggs and still like to get out during the day to free range and roam (and scare my daughter when they peck at the windows from the window boxes). I dunno what the answer is, but let me know, if you find out....LOL!

Tracey

thanks guys for the suggestions .. nice setup Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies .. i been thinking about the ceramic bulbs myself i hear they work great .. i don't know too much about them ..
i got about 10 chicks coming not going to use the hen
a 250 watt red bulb .. the box is about 35inches width, 21inches height 48inches long ... i have a thermastat on the ground it shows about 95 to 100 degrees .. hopefully that's not too hot for them .. so hopefully everything works out ..

I have yet to hatch chicks, but since I live in the carribean and its 90 degrees on this wonderful Christmas morning, I'm thinking my chicks will get by just fine with a desk lamp, and a 75 watt light bulb. My biggest issue, since my brooder is outdoors, is keeping out the rain and wind. Plywood sides, and a removable tarp roof seem to be keeping it dry just fine. Ofcourse I'm gonna need one of those cool rubbermade get ups when hurricane season comes around and i gotta scoop the chickies up and get um inside.

That will probably work for a short time.
I start mine out at 95 degrees.
You will have to slowly lower the temp by lowering the watage of the bulbs. If the chick start to pant or try to get as far from the bulb as possibly they are to hot.

Next time you are in town pick up a ceramic bulb
or some 100 watt & 60 watt yellow bug lights to have ready to change the big one out

I have seen the big heat bulbs in red 125 watt size before ot farm stores but they go fast, I bought 2 a couple of years ago but cant find any now.

I have used both and I love the red bulb. The chicks seem to sleep better at night, and seem calmer. It throws good heat, so I adjust the height to get the temp right, and put it at one end so they can move away from it if they want.

never tried bug lights either, but if you guys have a menards or home depot .. i'm pretty sure they carry 250 watt or 125 watt re or clear bulbs for 4 to 5 dollars.
i'm just worried about the lights hurting there eyes .. so i might try that ceramic thing out .. and leave a 50 to 60 watt blub on a timer.. for them to see the food .. well i'll let you guys know how it turns out ..

Back
Top Bottom