Red in a yolk

Sashkaaaa13

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2021
Hi, my one hen lays eggs that have red inside the yolk. Is the hen is healthy? Is there anything to worry about?

Thank you so much!
EB23F979-600E-45A1-A286-8C1F26DE1ADF.jpeg

What are the leftovers? anything red or orange? Leftovers really should be limited.
Not much, just some eggs, mostly healthy stuff, nothing red 🤷‍♀️ I’ve noticed that this particular hens eggs are broken lately, always some kind of crack on them.

Is the shell thin on those cracked eggs? Do the birds have access to an additional source of calcium (either oyster shell or eggshell)?

Any photos of an uncooked egg, it's hard to tell what I'm looking at with a boiled one.

I'll copy a link to the egg quality handbook. I suspect that might be a blood spot. It's hard to tell after you boiled it. You might look it up.

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/egg-quality-handbook

When the yolk is released from the membrane it grew in so it can start its journey through the hen's internal egg making factory that membrane is supposed to separate along a line that has no blood vessels. Occasionally a hen messes up and a blood vessel grows across that line so you get some blood in the egg. That is usually sort of between the yolk and the egg white but can vary a little exactly where it winds up. It can be a tiny spot or a fair amount of blood, depending on how big that blood vessel was. With some hens it is really rare or never, but some do it fairly regularly. If it is consistent I'd consider it a defect in the hen. An egg with a blood spot is safe to eat whether you remove the blood spot or not, but it can be hard to get past the YUK! Factor.

But it could be something other than a blood spot. Maybe a meat pot or even something else.

As far as the soft shell, is she the only hen you have doing that? When I have these issues I like to determine if it is a flock wide problem or an individual hen issue. If the rest of the flock is doing great I don't want to mess them up by treating them all for what is an individual hen problem. If it is a flock wide problem they are not getting enough calcium, we can help you with that. If it is an individual hen problem she is not eating enough calcium, her body is not processing the calcium she eats, or she has a defective shell gland. We might or might not be able to help you with an individual, depending on what the problem actually is.

Back
Top Bottom