Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

If someone is selfish with their birds then they really have no reason to complain about anyone else and what they do with their birds.  Why join a club that has a MS to preserve a breed? bragging arena or what? Seems counter intuitive to me.

My complaint with Cornish Breeders was in comparison to other breeds and breeders they do not act this way they are very helpful and encourage others regardless of experience to get the birds and raise them and they are eager to help.

Don't defend selfishness.Quote:

Looks to me like you are requiring them to sell their birds to you. You've already vented on this many times. I just get tired of hearing the crying. I've heard many many times why quality LF cornish aren't offered for sale widely and accept that. I figure if they were as easy to raise as barred rocks, they'd not have gotten so "rare" in the first place.

I've seen more than one person here finally get some quality birds and swear they are going to make them widely available, but it never happened. I can only guess that the reason is, they aren't so easy. Just like the breeders of them say. Someone does have some half quality half hatchery ones they've been selling eggs from though. Because hatchery hens lay really well.

(trying to imagine plucking and eviscerating a sparrow. oy.)

The image that comes to mind is Tom Hanks in "Big" eating the tiny piece of miniature corn at the party..
lau.gif

Some CX and hatchery quality WLRC [ to be used for a breeding project ] at 5 weeks , 1 day . I have held the CX back , but haven't had the heart to withold feed as much as I probably should . The CX can get airborn for a few inches of flight and use the roost for daytime rest and one even spars with the other breeds . At night they all still huddle together on the ground ; I think the EE and WLRC may stay on the ground at night for the warmth offered by the CX .
44349_chickens_025.jpg

I am excited about this picture! I am so OVER the dirty birdie chests of my CX. I use a lot of Ajax dish soap and white vinegar in my scald water. Using modified ground perches is a novel way of helping to keep them cleaner. I agree they are too fat to fly and can't roost on standard perches. But this might be an answer to a prayer.
Thank you!

I can relate to everything mentioned on the last 3 pages- and see both sides of the arguement.

I will say, that I have one of the most successful breeding sheep operations in my breed- in the country. In a very short period of time- I went from a nobody- to raising and selling state and national champions= not to mention the selling of breeding stock into 18 states and Canada. We had several other species of livestock as well- and even though our small Shorthorn herd is never going to be a national competitor- I fell we can crank out a good or better than good one every year. Matter of fact, we have a just weaned heifer calf right now=- that I think can just about compete with anyone.

Now, with that said, I was once told that if you follow the perception of sell the best, keep the rest, you will be out of the business in 3 years. I have seen it happen in front of my very eyes in both the cattle and sheep breeding and showing worlds...

To go one step further- I have also always been told by my mentors- that every once in a while- you have to part with a good one. She'll bring a ton of money- and the elite's will buy her-- Take that opportunity for her to produce your next herd sire from their mating of her to their elite: That's a true breeding plan.

I've only been involved with these Cornish birds for a very short time- but it took me nearly 2 years to locate my original ones. I promised myself that I would assist as many people as I can- in order to get started. So far this spring, I have shipped hatching eggs to 5 states- and have a huge list left of people wanting the eggs, I've been keeping roughly half the eggs for myself- and selling the other half to pay the feed bill. If current long term Cornish breeders refuse to sell to me for 'letting their genetics out': then so be it= I could care less- and in all reality I would have never gotten their eggs in the first place.

Another thing that I view as being perfectly rediculous- the number of people who refuse to sell one, single lonely cockerel bird to someone wanting to start a hobby project of sustainable meat birds- o lordy- I just said the devil's word to a Cornish breeder. Sure you have the excuse that you use those birds to fill your freezer-- but is ONE bird going to make a difference? I'd hate to think that your best- non keeper bird- would be of poorer or lesser quality than any non Cornish, or any hatchery sourced Cornish bird.

I see the past Cornish breeders to blame for this- it's a mentality handicap- secret handshake- forever problem that will never go away. They wanted birds built like this- huge breasts- short stocky legs-- why on earth do you think you can't hatch out chicks__ YOU SELECTED BIRDS TO BREED WITH THAT WERE PHYSICALLY unable to successfully mate+_ DUH! If you would select for- or heaven's to betsy change the standard to a reproducable bird-- you'd be able to hatch out more chicks- which in term would do several things:

Give you a broader base to select the upper end keepers from- 1% of a 100 is far less than 1% of a 1000,
Give you more 'butcherable' freezer birds
and Give you an opportunity to sell something to help pay the feed bill... seriously these cornish birds eat as much as our turkeys.

This is one of my favorite posts so far! I wish most breeders had this attitude. I would LOVE to be placed on your waiting list for eggs or chicks
fl.gif
.. I'm interested in preserving Cornish and am disappointed as to what's available from the hatcheries. However, in all the non-SOP birds from hatcheries, there's bound to be a few that will hatch and grow to near SOP. You can always put the less than perfects in the freezer, or see what they produce. Rome wasn't built in a day and breeding and genetics can take just as long, but is far more interesting.
This is a great and educational thread.. It's an old one that I am happy keeps going, and going, and going....

I got 6 birds that I thought were BQ, but ended up being hatchery stock. Having said that, one is really very nice, and another has a really good body but not very good feathering. I have used the better of the two to breed to an Ameraucana Cock owned by a friend. Three eggs have hatched.

They are only 10 days old so I don't know how they will turn out. I'm hoping they will produce a faster maturing, but nicely breasted meat bird. The feathering and coloration so far is pretty nice.

Having said all this, from the same hatch, I have a chick from an Icelandic [small but fast maturing bird] cockerel on a Speckled Sussex hen that is simply HUGE. This was very unexpected. I was using the Icelandic for fast maturing, and winter hardiness - I certainly didn't think I would get a big bird. I also have a Black Java, which are supposedly large but slow maturing. But, as I said it's only been ten days so who knows what they will be like in 6 months.

So, although I'd really like to raise pure Cornish - good quality one; since I can't find any, then I will [attempt to] raise a good looking CornishX that is big and meaty, but doesn't take a long time to grow.

Totalcolor, I like the idea I read on here of a green [or preferably blue] egg laying, dual purpose chicken. I eat an occasional Ameraucana or EE cull, and though pretty skimpy to look at, love the flavor; the breast meat being nearly as dark as a commercial meat bird's thigh and leg meat I'll be trying to breed one myself, since I have Cornish cockerels with not enough pullets to keep them busy, and some Cornish Rock pullets fed for a slower growth, taste experiment that have not been butchered and now penned with my largest Ameraucana roos, plus 6 more Cornish Rock chicks on slow growth diets. I hope to see pictures of your recently hatched chicks.

It is my understanding that the eggs kfacres is selling are not from 100% breeder stock but from half breeder and half hatchery. Therefore it is much easier to have eggs to sell, since hatchery hens are so much more prolific. I know he will correct me if I'm wrong. It is he I was referencing before.

It is my understanding that the eggs kfacres is selling are not from 100% breeder stock but from half breeder and half hatchery. Therefore it is much easier to have eggs to sell, since hatchery hens are so much more prolific. I know he will correct me if I'm wrong. It is he I was referencing before.

You are close-- but not exactly accurate...

And I don't remember stating that they were all of 'breeder' stock quality...

In which post- or what quote do you reference me? It sure isn't the one about selling eggs on EBay...

ETA: For every 2 people I have requesting to purchase a "quality" SOP bird-- I have 8 more waiting just to buy a "cornish" bird for a home meat bird project. I prefer to raise and sell according to supply/ demand. Nobody else will sell to these folks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom