Red light bulb

any filament bulb emits heat ... regular or red .. if you have a large tub for a brooder i'd use the red heat lamp, theyre about 250watts .. otherwise if your like me and use a small carboard box a regular filament 60w bulb is better (and cheaper to run) .. in either case be sure to use a shield and secure it well so thers reduces fire hazzard .. the dedicate heating pads are super slick .. more to clean though lol ...
put a thermometer in where they are. adjust the height of the heat lamp to get the temperature you want. it takes a while for the temperature to change so don't make adjustments too fast. might be best to start further away and then bring it in a little at a time. you don't want to cook them.

Brooding plate

Indeed, I definitely agree with humblehillsfarm that brooding plates are way better. Heat lamps have been known to break and cause fires. Red ones the plastic layer can start cracking and break and the chicks may start eating it and hurt themselves.
Also make sure to have a chicken coop ready for your hens if you haven't done so already.
Once they are old enough to live in the chicken coop outside by themselves, try to avoid using heat lamps in the chicken coop unless you live in an extremely cold place or you have breeds that are not cold tempered. You'll want to do this so that they are able to naturally withstand the elements. If you introduce a heat lamp into their coop when it's not too cold for them to normally withstand, then they may try to take shelter in the chicken coop any time they start feeling cold.

We often overheat. totally agree

The difference between a seed germination mat and a brooder plate is about $40. When I have 6 brooder areas going, it adds up.

Here is my brooder. It uses zero electricity and no risk of a fire. It also does the feeding, watering and flock integration. It prevents the dreaded pasty butt and is completely hands off from the moment you begin usage till the chicks are grown up. Best of all I only paid 2.99 for it. In all seriousness, this is the best way to go and I have never raised chicks myself that were so hardy and healthy as the chicks my Dizzy is currently bringing up. The most inconvenience I had was for the first two weeks keeping them in fresh water and then she taught them how to use the horizontal nipples on my home made barrel waterer after I put up some blocks up they could stand on. I realize not everyone has this luxury but it is something to keep in mind if you are in this for the long haul and plan on keeping chickens for many years. Having a broody is the best thing I have done with raising chicks. If this interests you just pick some breeds that are normally broody the next time you add chicks to your flock.
Before Dizzy I used both a heat lamp and a brooder plate and I highly recommended using the plate if at all possible. I hope you enjoyed meeting my Broody Brooder!View attachment 2477931
Can you put day old chicks under a broody hen? If I have 25 chicks coming can a broody hen take care of that many?

You can, but 25 is probably too many to fit under one hen.
Ok next dumb question, If I have 25 chicks (my usual order) and one brood hen can I put then in a small coop with a red lamp to keep the overflow warm. In other words if I have a broody hen with overflow chicks will she more harmful than helpful?
Thanks for the reply just conjecturing for my next batch of chicks.

Ok next dumb question, If I have 25 chicks (my usual order) and one brood hen can I put then in a small coop with a red lamp to keep the overflow warm. In other words if I have a broody hen with overflow chicks will she more harmful than helpful?

Hmm, good question. I don't know if that will work or if that will just confuse them somehow. Hopefully someone has tried brooding a big batch and has better advice to offer?

I think a standard sized hen can take maybe around... 15ish chicks.

that's a good question. my instinct is that it would confuse them. theyd all try to get under mom and not realize theres an alternate heat source where there isnt room under mom.

Back
Top Bottom