Red or Clear Heat Lamp

I have my 4-day-old chicks with a 250 watt clear lamp. I can tell they are OK with it because they are very calm and stay under the light sometimes, and sometimes not. I am thinking about getting a red one though after reading the posts here. At my hardware store the clears are 2.99 and the reds are 7.99.

I agree that you would need to be careful about spray painting the bulb. If it's not high-heat paint, the heat from the bulb could conceivably melt the paint causing it to drip off the bulb and onto your chicks below; nasty burns.
Not all broods of chicks will have pecking issues, but if they are prone to it the red light will be worth every penny.

Last edited:
I was concerned about the paint too, so I just returned the clear bulb and found another store that had the red heat lamps, so I am happy
smile.png

I wouldn't paint a 250w clear bulb. The bulb will get extremely hot as the paint starts to burn off. Glass everywhere. I know I've done it once about 30 years ago.
Have you tried your feed store to see if they have the red bulb? They are always in stock at my local feed stores.
It is worth the money in the long run.
Also if you don't you should have a ceramic socket like the heat lamps have so not to overheat and perhaps start a fire.
wink.png

Last edited:
A great option is to hook it up to a dimmer; at full power, some shavings got up to 220 degrees underneath it! I thought there was nuclear fallout; I fixed it by lowering it with the dimmer.

I would also advise against painting any bulbs. Painting works for low wattage bulbs (Such as garden bulbs). But anything with a high wattage will get too hot and will burn/melt the paint. It simply isnt worth it for the dollar or two you would save (after buying the paint and the bulb, translucent paint is about $5-6 a can).

Back
Top Bottom