Red Sex-link, Golden Sex-link, Golden Comet, Red Star...same breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I kept mine in for a week to make sure the coop was imprinted as home no problem with them ever straying.

Quote:
White leghorns are not used to produce red star. They may use a bird that is similar but the genetics of the white leghorn will not produce a red female and a white male.

There is only one possibility where one may use a white leghorn female and cross with a buff orpington. The females will be white with buff faces and the males will be white. This is not not the same as a red sex linked cross and the buff male must carry certain genes.

Tim

Last edited:
So are the Red Sex-link, Golden Sex-link, Red Star & Golden Comet just different names for the same breed?
I have a 7 week old pullet and was told that it was a Golden Sex-Link.

Lucky you, golden sex-links are awesome birds.

My vote is 'no' they are not the same. Certain hatcheries create their hybrids with different parents. Here are some links that will let you know the approaches that they take:
http://www.efowl.com/Brown_Egg_Layers_s/71.htm illustrations

you can click on the illustration of Black sexlink, gold sexlink, golden comet, red sexlink etc and see the cross. I think that Ideal hatchery may have similar information, but just at this moment, I can't access their website.

I have to say that the cross of Rhode Island Red rooster and Rhode Island White hen producing the gold sexlink is an amazing bird.

Here's what I've heard. A Red Star, at least from Murray McMurray is a cross between a Rhode Island Red, a New Hampshire, and a White Leghorn. As for the process -- beats me. Does anyone have any other information?
I think your thinking of Production Reds and not Sex-Links.

Chris

Keep in mind as well that anyone can produce a sex-linked bird. It's just a matter of crossing the appropriate breeds and genders. This will allow you to immediately distinguish the resulting offspring male from female at hatch.

But this does NOT guarantee you will get a high-performance laying hen. To do that the parent lines have to have been carefully selected for high-performance before the cross was made. In turn that generally requires large breeder flocks. In a nutshell a commercial sex-linked bird is likely going to be a very good layer. A home-grown sex-link maybe, maybe not. You'd have to know the breeder and their birds for that.

Thanks for that question! Was wondering the same thing, still trying to figure out what chick to get. Getting Barred Plymouth Rocks for sure. but not sure if I should mix them with Sex-links, Think they'de all get along if I got them all at day olds? Does it matter what kind of sex-link i get?

Thanks so much I have 2 Golden & a Black sex link. I was wondering this also when trying to research the breed. Do you know why so many different names for same breed? I also have 2 RIR & a white leghorn. The leghorn is a great layer I'm told but, it took me a full week getting my little "Lego" (9 year old grandson named her) to eat out of & then sit in my hand. The sex links were there the second time I tried to hand feed them, pushing each other out of my hand. They are all 3 weeks old now & this is my first atempt at my mini flock. Trying to learn all I can about each breed. Thanks again!

I keep mine in for 7 weeks as of that time i feed them chick start and grow from 7 to 17 weeks i feed growers feed and from 17 weeks till the day they die they will eat layers feed i am doing this currently with 2 Americana's

I always have my Golden Comets!!....Been raising them since I was a kid!
They r mixed breeds of RIR & White Leg Horns!

GREAT Meat Producers & Large Lite Brown egg Layers...my girls gives me 1 egg each day from each of them!!
So I hatch sum out for meat every year & replacements every 2 years!

They r very docile!!...eazy to take care of & handle!!

UR GONNA LUV THEM!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom