Red Sex Links- Size of eggs changes?

apri0219

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
New York
Okay, I've done a few searches and believe I've found what I'm looking for but not fully sure so here goes-
my RSL's have just started laying, the eggs are really small! About an inch and a half in diameter. Will these eggs get bigger as they produce more? Will the taste change?

One more... I currently give them crumbles and oyster shell (here and there on the later) plus goodies from the kitchen. Do I need to add anything else? They free range all day. Thanks for help in advance... love love love this site for years now!

welcome-byc.gif
Congratulations on the onset of egglaying. The size of the eggs will increase during this laying cycle. Next year they will be even larger. The taste of the eggs is influenced by diet. Given a balanced layer diet and allowed to free range, your yolks should be bright orange and rich in taste.

We got them March 29th from TSC. I could tell one was a week older than the others as they were growing. This week the oldest has laid two so far and yesterday one other did as well. Most definitely could tell the onset of laying was coming- the behavior was quite reminiscent of labor. ;) They have a tendancy to come to me (as in to the door of the house) if they need something and boy were they needing a little support at the time of laying. The second one to follow actually needed to be kept in the coop as she continued to run for my house instead of theirs. Funny. She got it though and within 20 minutes, give or take, she was back to norm and foraging.

Back
Top Bottom