Red sexlink hen...hmmm...what do you think?

I had to post update pictures for you all to see. this guy is a beast, I think he is now just 7 months old he his bigger than my barred rock roo, he is in his horrible teen years, but over all a good fellow. He is looking down on a 1/2 gallon (not a quart) ball jar. The jar & soda can is for reference to size. I was thinking about keeping him, but with the dixie rainbow/pioneer being a hybrid (future egg hatching possibilities)View attachment 1095097 View attachment 1095098 View attachment 1095099 , I' m wondering if it would be a good idea or not? your thoughts?View attachment 1095094 View attachment 1095095 View attachment 1095096
We free range, and he likes to follow me up to the house from the coop --or maybe its run away from our barred rock rooster :) lol
He will work! So handsome! :bow

If he has a sweet nature, I can see his genetics only improving your flock. Dixie Rainbow are meat birds but also decent (though not prolific layers).

Put him over a BR hen, you'll get larger birds that lay well...a true dual purpose.

With this boy, you'll get some pretty color variety, and possibly, over BR hens, sex links.
Depending on his genetics (I see some barring but almost more Columbian), you could get sex links with your BR hens (male chicks barred, while female chicks black, or perhaps male chicks barred black, female chicks barred red, or even male chicks double barred, female single barred).

With the BR rooster over any hen, all chicks are barred.

He is a beauty.

If they are sweet, I try to keep them. It is hard to find a nice tempered rooster, and I regret those I have disposed of....the mean ones...which I've gotten plenty of...make good soup!
Lofmc

Hey everyone, thank for the the encouragement on keeping him for the "genetics" ..especially your comments LofMC. You answered some of the questions I have been wondering about...do you think (through the feed store) I can track down where he came from, and what breeding is behind him --or would that be a trade secret? lol I think one of my kiddos is going to enter him in the local fair this year. hoping that all goes well if we do it! I have never entered chickens, did horses as a kid-so I kind of know what to expect, but I keep wondering if it is a good idea -health wise --with a chicken. I'm guessing he would need to be quaranteened when he came back.
love byc! you guys are the best.

If he has a sweet nature, I can see his genetics only improving your flock. Dixie Rainbow are meat birds but also decent (though not prolific layers).

Put him over a BR hen, you'll get larger birds that lay well...a true dual purpose.

With this boy, you'll get some pretty color variety, and possibly, over BR hens, sex links.
Depending on his genetics (I see some barring but almost more Columbian), you could get sex links with your BR hens (male chicks barred, while female chicks black, or perhaps male chicks barred black, female chicks barred red, or even male chicks double barred, female single barred).

With the BR rooster over any hen, all chicks are barred.

He is a beauty.

If they are sweet, I try to keep them. It is hard to find a nice tempered rooster, and I regret those I have disposed of....the mean ones...which I've gotten plenty of...make good soup!
Lofmc

We homeschool and my son is doing biology next year, when we cover genetics, I'm going have him do so "real" stuff with chickens. Can you recommend any online sources, or books that will assist with understanding the basics of breeding in chickens?

We homeschool and my son is doing biology next year, when we cover genetics, I'm going have him do so "real" stuff with chickens. Can you recommend any online sources, or books that will assist with understanding the basics of breeding in chickens?

Oh how fun. I homeschooled all 3 of my kids, and we used our animals too.

I'll link my favorite aids for that purpose below.

I hope your son has a great year in animal husbandry and biology!
LofMc

Scratch Cradle has an excellent genetics series here:
https://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/genetics-mini-series/

And this is a BYC list. I can recommend the 1912 booklet that is linked. It still has very pertinent (and understandable) information on how to line breed. (See post #4 and then item #6 for Chard's work)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/books-and-siites-on-poultry-genetics.940222/

If you have younger students too, these are my all time favorite links for brooding/incubator hatching science :D

Automated video on the embryo development of a chick:

4H Unit we've used for hatching and development (adjustable for multiple ages)
http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED366499.pdf

Sadly my OSU Extension service Vet Science program is out of print, but there is still some of the videos (which may or may not be useful):
http://oregon.4h.oregonstate.edu/projects/animal-science/veterinary

And this is similar to the material we used for my oldest daughter (who became a Vet Tech, and we did 4H science for her high school credits and transcript prep for college)
https://www.paulreverems.com/cms/li...y/Domain/145/Vet Science Student Workbook.pdf

Back
Top Bottom