Red swallen bum, bald belly, scruffy wings and heavy breathing?

Thanks for the reply, I have done some research do all the hens that get peritonitis not walk, put their tail down and not drink/eat? Maxi seems very happy, could this be a molt or possibly vent gleet?Hows you're hen doing?

Last edited:
Also checked the chickens again today and they all are infested in lice including Maxi. I have put lice powder on all of them and I'm cleaning out the coop today. Could this be the problem with Maxi?

It has to be the problem. So good on you for finding out and dusting them. In my first response that is what I thought/recommended. Those little buggers are horrible for chickens. A regular supply of DE bathing helps but you did right treating them with the lice med. I know some don't like sevin but it is effective when I have used it. Don't forget to put some in the coop and leave it in there.

Wish ya the best and hope they all get better soon.

Those swollen bellies look like ascites, fluid retention in the body cavities. This can have various causes, none of them good, and internal laying/peritonitis is one of them. Chickens can have ascites and act quite normal for some time, depending on the underlying cause. Heart problems, cancers and liver problems can also be a cause. In the case of internal laying it may eventually develop into peritonitis and then the hen does start showing visible signs of feeling crummy. Mites do not cause ascites. They may cause feather loss, redness, poor condition and can even weaken and kill a bird but they don't cause ascites.

Cafarmgirl, which photos are speaking of? Rubi Mia or honey melon ? Or both. I mentioned that to honey melon as that is what I thought might be possible. But not so much on rubi mia's.

Every bit of advanced knowing is important. I have experienced seeing peritonitis on my friends chickens through the years but fortunately never on a single chicken on any of mine.

Cafarmgirl, which photos are speaking of? Rubi Mia or honey melon ? Or both. I mentioned that to honey melon as that is what I thought might be possible. But not so much on rubi mia's.

Every bit of advanced knowing is important. I have experienced seeing peritonitis on my friends chickens through the years but fortunately never on a single chicken on any of mine.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this thread. Both birds look like they have something internal going on, whether it's acsites or something else or both I do not know.

Back
Top Bottom