divineangel94

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
Six year old hen that is done laying, sneezing, raspy breathing, breathing heavy. The breathing heavy mainly happens when she lays down, only sometime while standing. They were diagnosed with mycoplasma at two years old but symptoms only started showing a month ago. Or at least I hope that’s all it is. Still eating and drinking. And still rules the coop. I slacked a little on coop cleaning cause I got injured, then my mother passed, and lately the weather has been horribly hot which affects other medical conditions I have. But I did a thorough clean out of the coop, dusted well. Flies have also been horrible so I got fly traps. I check her almost everyday and she doesn’t seem to have a swollen abdomen. But sometimes it feels warmer and firm on her stomach just not red.

4 days ago I was finally able to get Tylosin but today her breathing and sneezing seemed worse. But she’s still herself. She even snatched bread out of my hand and started running.

I guess my question is, is it too early to start panicking that it’s not working? Could the recent air quality issues be making things worse? I’ve lost so much this year, and my chickens are my babies, my therapy. Please help ease this anxiety or at least help me help her. TIA.

Six year old hen that is done laying, sneezing, raspy breathing, breathing heavy. The breathing heavy mainly happens when she lays down, only sometime while standing.
I'm sorry that you are having troubles:hugs

Photos of her and her poop?

Is her crop emptying overnight?

You mention she's done laying, so she's not actively laying eggs - does she feel like there's bloat or a feeling of fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

It could be mycoplasma if you have it in your flock, but the symptoms you describe could also be related to reproductive disorders like cancer, eyp, salpingitis, etc.
Laying down makes it worse, so I would see if there's fluid in the abdomen. If there is, then sometimes this can be drained to give relief for a short period of time. It's not a cure but can be given as supportive care and comfort.

I'm sorry that you are having troubles:hugs

Photos of her and her poop?

Is her crop emptying overnight?

You mention she's done laying, so she's not actively laying eggs - does she feel like there's bloat or a feeling of fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

It could be mycoplasma if you have it in your flock, but the symptoms you describe could also be related to reproductive disorders like cancer, eyp, salpingitis, etc.
Laying down makes it worse, so I would see if there's fluid in the abdomen. If there is, then sometimes this can be drained to give relief for a short period of time. It's not a cure but can be given as supportive care and comfort.
Sorry. What I meant by done laying is henopause. It’s been confirmed. Light combs keels too close for an egg to go through, etc. her abdomen doesn’t feel squishy but when she gets stressed it gets hot and firm where her stomach is. Before giving her tylosin, she did have mucus in her poop. Her poop has been normal lately. Except when it’s water because of heat and drinking a lot. That’s usually the first thing I check when I feel like something is wrong. Crop does empty. I usually check that since I had a hen have really bad impacted crop.
It’s currently midnight, I’ve been up worrying. But I have recently taken her picture the other day so I’ll share that till tomorrow.
Her comb and wattles are actually a lighter pink, but I guess it’s the lighting.

Attachments

• IMG_1525.jpeg
    IMG_1525.jpeg
    424.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom