dinochickens123

Hatching
Apr 19, 2018
My Rhode Island Red seems sick. She is usually boisterous, but in the last week seems lethargic and waddles. Her tail is drooping. She usually is excited to graze outside, but today she just hunched in the coop. She eats fine, though. Her poop is green and foamy, but that may be because of the vegetables. I felt her stomach and she seems bloated; it feels like a water balloon. What could be causing this?

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your hen. How old is she? Does she lay eggs? Has she been eating or drinking? Green poo is usually because they are not eating enough. What is bloated—her crop in her right upper chest or her lower belly between her legs?

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your hen. How old is she? Does she lay eggs? Has she been eating or drinking? Green poo is usually because they are not eating enough. What is bloated—her crop in her right upper chest or her lower belly between her legs?
She's been eating fine, but I've haven't seen her drink. When I fill up their water bowl she just hunches near it and doesn't seem to drink. I'm not sure her age since a friend gave her to me. I think she's 4-5 years old. I'm not exactly sure where she's bloated but I'll look at her again when I get home

I got home and gave her a warm bath. She was swollen in her abdomen, but when I felt for a stuck egg it was the wrong hole ;/. I can't find her cloaca, but I think she does have some form of perotinitis

The vent or cloaca, is where the eggs and the droppings both come out. If you insert a finger into the vent an inch or two, you may check for a stuck egg. At her age, laying and reproductive problems are common. Internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis can cause an enlarged lower belly between the legs. Have you seen her laying recently? If she has internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis, there is no cure. Some try antibiotics to help prolong life, but they may or may not help.

The vent or cloaca, is where the eggs and the droppings both come out. If you insert a finger into the vent an inch or two, you may check for a stuck egg. At her age, laying and reproductive problems are common. Internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis can cause an enlarged lower belly between the legs. Have you seen her laying recently? If she has internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis, there is no cure. Some try antibiotics to help prolong life, but they may or may not help.
I can't find the vent, I can only find the anus. I don't know if I am not seeing something very obvious.

I'll check if I find her egg in the nestbox

upload_2018-4-19_22-31-39.jpeg
They have a vent, not an anus. What you have found is most likely the vent, also called the cloaca where the large intestines and oviduct meet.

She seems to be pushing every ten seconds, and I cannot find anything obstructing the vent

She sounds very much like she is suffering from a reproductive disorder, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or others. I would keep her comfortable and try to keeep her eating and especially drinking. Give her some probiotics while on the antibiotic. Vitamins With Lactobacillus by Rooster Booster is a good brand of vitamins with probiotics. Here is a link with repro problems and definitions:
http://www.regenbiocorps.com/index.php/poultry-diseases/17-disorders-of-reproductive-systems

Back
Top Bottom