reflection of first time chx kill

Thanks for sharing your experience! I will be raising meat birds for the first time later this year, and I anticipate having similar emotions to yours when it comes time for the kill. Although unlike you, I do not hunt and this will be my first actual kill. This will also be my first time raising baby chicks, so it will be hard not to get attached. I may get a layer chick or two when I get the meat birds just so I have someone to get attached to and channel my motherly instinct toward lol.
You’re welcome. I felt silly airing my ‘emotions’ publicly but now, seeing the BYC support, I realize I’m not alone.
I wish you all the luck with your meat birds. Maybe consider a couple of hens; they do better in a flock.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I will be raising meat birds for the first time later this year, and I anticipate having similar emotions to yours when it comes time for the kill. Although unlike you, I do not hunt and this will be my first actual kill. This will also be my first time raising baby chicks, so it will be hard not to get attached. I may get a layer chick or two when I get the meat birds just so I have someone to get attached to and channel my motherly instinct toward lol.
I was it the same position last year, and it was hard.
But I didn't want someone else to do the deed, because I only really trusted myself to do the necessary research to find out how to do it.
And I'm not sure it gets easier, more confident yes; but easier not yet.
But afterwards I actually find it quite interesting, cleaning out the bird always makes me marvel at how well built they are.

That's how I hunt, too, except I'll let the big boys walk past in the hopes that a fat two year old will be tagging along behind. Or a fat doe, if it's the season.

As I've told my husband, you don't eat the antlers.

DH has never gotten a deer (possibly this fall we'll get some revenge for our devastated orchard), but I've often been given deer. Those trophy bucks are like venison-flavored chewing gum. Really suited for nothing but jerky or sausage.

I’ve been raising and processing chickens long enough that I label them like this:
F1604207-4787-43B5-8CB3-45EBBE738A1F.jpeg

(In case you can’t read them they say, Fricassee, Stew, Earl and Dumplin’)

Back
Top Bottom