Refrigerated eggs under broody? read please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens44, Dec 30, 2010.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    yesterday I got 7 fertilized eggs from my coop and I put them in the frig, but I have a for sure broody, could I put them under her or are they no good now?

2. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

Most will tell you no. I got 18 Dominique eggs from my aunt...out of her fridge (she'd forgotten). Of those, 15 hatched in the incubator.

3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    My broody has about 7 eggs under her now but I want atleast 5 more under her.

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I agree that most people will tell you no, but ... that being said... you will also find a lot of people on here who buy fertilized eggs in the refrigerated egg section at Trader Joe's and bring them home and hatch them, oftentimes getting a fairly decent hatch rate (and whatever breed hatches is always a big surprise).

It's probably not ideal, but if you want, you could try it. Worst thing that would happen is it won't hatch.

5. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    well if I wait tel tommrrow morning ill have more "just layed eggs" I could put under her, she has 7 today, would it be ok if I put 5 under her tommrrow or is it to much of a difference in the timeings

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Sounds like they were not in there for long, and considering the time ofyear and that fact that eggs from a coop whose weather is in the 20's are hatching, I say you have no problem.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ditto.

8. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    ok. Today, I diddent even let most of the eggs hit the cold air [​IMG] because as soon as one of my hens got off the egg I took it and gave it to my broody heehee [​IMG]

9. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

You will have to keep us posted and let us know how it goes! Take pics if you can. I love seeing pics of broody mamas ... they are so fluffy when they're broody.

10. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by