Refrigerated eggs...**Update pic (graphic) page 5**

Last year I stored all my eggs in a refrigerator(set @ 55 degrees), I set eggs once a week and they all did fine. Chilling them keeps them longer than just sitting out on the counter. Make sure when you take them out to let them get room temperature before you place them in the incubator. If the eggs sweat from being move into a warm room, just let them sit until they are dry. I usually let the eggs sit 4 hours to get room temp.

Good luck,

There's no harm in trying. I gathered up all of our eggs for about two weeks and have been hatching them. I was telling my brother the results and he said in awe, "They wouldn't be alive if it weren't for you!" I said, "True, they would be pancake batter."

I'm not sure he realizes what the omelet I made him last year was made out of.

I have set eggs that have been kept at 45F for 2 weeks with 95% fertility and 100% hatch of those fertile. I also have tried to hard boil eggs that were refrigerated at 40F for 2 weeks and they were just as hard to peel as if I had boiled them the day laid. As long as you don't freeze the eggs they should be fine. 45F was always the temp we kept eggs for sale when my family ran a dairy, I would not go below that and try not to let them sit out if they will be over 70F for very long.

I've had huge success with refridgerated eggs I recieved from a fellow BYc'er. I gave them 24hrs out of the fridge before incubating - 100% hatch

good luck!

Ok, so I let the eggs sit at room temperature yesterday for about 9 hours while I was getting the bator ready. I put them in around midnight. I only had 2 of them. Cross your fingers for me!
fl.gif

Good for you for trying, aggie! Other BYCers have hatched Trader Joe's eggs successfully that were 7 days old. I don't know at what temperatures farmers and supermarkets store their eggs during transport and on the shelves but my guess would be *a lot* colder than 45-55 that some are mentioning here.

Today is Day 7 (resisting the urge to candle until Day 10) and I have a mix of eggs. It's my very first time hatching and to increase the odds of at least one successfully hatching I decided to put in a dozen fertile eggs from Trader Joe's too. They were 11 days old when I put them in. (We want to show our daughter where our chicks come from!)
jumpy.gif

So, it can't hurt. Please keep us updated!

I will have to remember that when it comes time to store a few eggs.in the fridge between 45 and 55 degrees.
I love it learn new stuff every day:woot

I believe there are some on BYC that have refrigerated for as long as 14 days and hatched ok. Not sure the % of there hatch. I say go for it! What have you got to lose you already have the eggs.

I seem to recall, when I was doing research with my son for his science project on hatching grocery store eggs last school year, there were several folks reporting successes with refrigerated eggs up between 7 to 11 days old (in the fridge) and still being able to develop perfectly. Hens' lack of ideal nutrition was a negative contributing factor for mortality of chicks hatching out of eggs from the store, despite development of embryos. If your hen has good nutrition, I am sure you will have success if they are fertile.

I think it is definately worth your time and I am glad to here you are going ahead with it. Best Wishes!

Quote:
Good luck to you too!

Yes, good luck! My kids loved hatching Trader Joes eggs and we got the all time best hen out of it! She is like a baby doll with the kids and relaxes in their arms when they pick her up.

Back
Top Bottom