? Regarding horse eyes...

bkreugar

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Asheboro NC
What is it called if the brown part of the eyeball is small or smaller that what you think it should be? As in the entire eyeball that shows from the face and there is more white than one usually sees. Not talking cancer or cataracts just an anomoly.

I have seen other horses with this and the vet has looked at my mares eyes. But I always passed horses up with this. But i totally fell for this girl and bought her in April.SHe has been wonderful!!!

When i bought her she had a 21 month old foal at her side (yes you read that right).ANyway her foal had the same eyes.

My mare is a grye and white pinto/arab. SHe has a HUGE white face almost bald. But her son was just a solid bay with the same small brown on his eyes.So is it a painti pinto thing? I don't think so.Is it an inheritable trait as her son had them also?

Does ANYBODY know what I am talking about??

It is just called a Human Eye. It is a fault in Arab horses but I believe it is a breed standard in Appaloosas. I think Appaloosa breeders call it something else. Arabs are wonderful personable horses. They are meant to have a lot of human interaction for you to be successful with them though, glad you really love her. There is no perfect Arabian horse and having a human eye is not a big deal. It is an inheritable trait.

Last edited:
Hey lluv arab You and I have PM each other before, great to talk to you again!

Yea I FIGURED it was a fault but is it and inheritable trait? Her son had it so is it a DOMINANT trait?

I am SO glad you know what the heck i am talking about!!! I sound kind of stupid explaining it.

Yes my girl is a babydoll.I will have to post pics of the fun show 2 weeks ago.We went in hawiian gear in the costume class and my DD was a pirate and horse was pirate ship.

My girl is great, dd's friend rode her in the kid classes (musical sacks, potato race etc) and she never even got wound up. I REALLY REALLY like her and am considering breeding her which is why I am interested in this eye thing.So it has nothing to do with the white on the face? Cuz we are not talking a blue eye.BOTH eyes just don't seem to have enough brown.

THANK you for your time!!!

Do they have any white markings near their eyes?

Horses have black skin but under any white markings, the skin is pink. When the white markings extend over or near an eye, that will make them amber, blue or sometimes make the scelera (the white) more prominent. It is very common in colored breeds like Appys, Pintos, Paints, Cremes, etc...

Hi BK,
I remember you now!!! I would count on any offspring you have inheriting it and decide if you can live with it. It shows up even when both parents have dark eyes with no white. If you want to breed her go for a polish bred stallion like one with some Bask
(Hey wait, my stallion would be good he has double bask and HUGE dark brown eyes
bun.gif
plus he is a Padron son
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png
)
For some reason it seems to show up more in Egyptian bred horses than any other line.
Amateur photo of my man: (He is 20 in these pics! 1989 model)
16532_padron.jpg

16532_7-8_009.jpg

A purebred son at 2 1/2 in hunter regalia: (Padrons Good Fortune)
16532_021.jpg

I may add a picture of Ruby (Padrubia) later- pinto daughter.

Hi arab, thanks for explaining it to me. I am currently weighing the pros vs cons.I would breed for myself NOT for resale. You DID understand what I meant.

I got the impression it was inheritable because her son DID have his eyes. I will have to post pics of her again,It is not that she has small eyes they are big enough and have perfect black eyeliner on both eyes, but not enough brown, too much white. Yes I could live with it.I am trying to decide if she is good enough to be bred.

Thank you and I would love to see pics of your arab/pinto!

Before this girl I NEVER liked arab/qh crosses but she is SOOO solid. They always seemed to get the worst of BOTH breeds.She has NO spook at ANYTHING on the trail EVER.Not even when we go somewhere new.AND no spook when I started trying her costume on before show day.

I knew you were breeding for yourself.
wink.png

I could only find one pic of Ruby and her Mom and I'll post it shortly. They are very easy to sell though and I sold Ruby for more than I have ever gotten for any other baby.

The name depends on who you ask and I'm sure every breed and every part of the country has a different word for it. Part of it probably has to do with the physical structure around the eye. The reason a lot of people dislike the white showing is because a stressed or nervous horse will stretch their eyes open wider showing the white and so seeing the white makes people think the horse is spooky or nervous. Since it's the movement of the skin around the eye that shows the white in a horse that otherwise wouldn't I would think in horses that constantly have it showing there is something going on with the skin and possibly even facial structure. It really doesn't mean anything if you are breeding just for yourself and not for any competitions that judge only on appearance.

Akane,

Do you ever wonder about that with frizzle chickens? They always look like "their feathers are ruffled", I was wondering why my non frizzled chickens don't occasionally attack them. I guess there are also actions associated with a chicken dispute in addition to getting your neck feathers puffed up.

Back
Top Bottom