Votes: 0 0.0%
  • started in Sept

• started in Oct

• started in Nov

• Total voters
Our girls have artificial light from 5am-9am and again from 4pm-9pm. We use a cheap (as in less than $10 from WalMart) grow bulb (natural spectrum lighting) on a timer. The light is a 17 watt fixture.

We had gone down to 1 egg/day in October but when we added light the girls went back to 12-15/day within 2 weeks.

Our girls are outside from dawn to dusk and still put themselves to bed in the afternoon/evening. With the light on in the coop, evening is now grooming and socializing time. They snack from the feeder and move around more in the coop than they did with natural lighting.

you beat me before i got the poll done
smile.png

your answer is just what I'm looking for,
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
We use a low wattage florescent bulb not for egglaying, but so the ducks and geese can see and move around in their garage while they are shut up for 16 hours a night during these short days.

Quote:
sorry I ran out of room on the poll, if you use no light plesase just post a reply, Thank you.

if there is a reason you do not use lights please say why, but please don't yell.

Don't use lights

1. Good to give my girls a break

2. Don't want a potential fire hazard

3. If it provides heat, don't want chickens to get used to it if power goes out

4. Lack the necessary skills to rig it up

I start lighting August 15th when sunlight dips below 14 hours. I end by My 15th. I have been using lights for 18 years & have never had a problem. The girls get more time to eat to keep warm. I have had chickens lay eggs until 8 years old. They molt so they get a rest, I want them laying the rest of the time.

We use CLF bathroom bulbs. They are encased in a plastic bubble and don't get hot, so they can go in the corner of the coops. Their lights come on at 6 am and got off around 9. They come back on at 4 pm and go off at 9:30. My girls aren't all still laying, but the majority of them are.

Back
Top Bottom