Regular maintenance of flock

Baileybunchx5

Songster
Mar 1, 2023
Maryland
I would like to know your advice on regular maintenance of your flock or advice. De worming how often? Any additional advice for feeding/additives
Thank you.

Attachments

• D1D12714-2AB1-4DE1-93E0-24C26EC7BEB0.jpeg
    D1D12714-2AB1-4DE1-93E0-24C26EC7BEB0.jpeg
    730.4 KB · Views: 89
I give a biweekly inspection of my flock of 10 looking for parasites, checking head to toes. I have two prone to bumble foot and three (all same breed) that need biweekly rear end spa days because of their short legs and extra butt fluff. I personally do not deworm routinely. I’m of the mindset that medication should be given only if necessary.
I do use poultry dust with permethrin and vaseline for scaly leg mites. I also spray the coop if there is a new case. My short legged ladies and feather footed birds are by far most affected, but I treat the ones not showing signs with just vaseline. They seem to like it; maybe it’s soothing to them.

No reason to deworm if you don't have worms or don't live in an area with high reinfestation of worms - there's no one and done wormer anyhow and you need to keep in mind egg withdrawal times as well.

I don't see any reason for any additives unless there is something specific you are treating for, like wry neck, or occasional electrolyte usage for stressful situations. Plain water is the best bet IMO. Too many vitamins and minerals can be just as dangerous as not enough.

I give a biweekly inspection of my flock of 10 looking for parasites, checking head to toes. I have two prone to bumble foot and three (all same breed) that need biweekly rear end spa days because of their short legs and extra butt fluff. I personally do not deworm routinely. I’m of the mindset that medication should be given only if necessary.
I do use poultry dust with permethrin and vaseline for scaly leg mites. I also spray the coop if there is a new case. My short legged ladies and feather footed birds are by far most affected, but I treat the ones not showing signs with just vaseline. They seem to like it; maybe it’s soothing to them.
Thank you for your response. Vaseline on their legs as a preventative?

I'm also in the group that believes you should only use medicine if you are treating a specific disease or parasite. I don't see any reason to help disease or parasites from developing immunity from treatments. Every time I butcher I check the intestines for tapeworms or roundworms, the type of worms that might be in their intestines. Haven't found any yet. I've never found mites or lice either but Dad found lice once in his flock. That was the only time he treated his flock.

That doesn't mean I don't do anything to prevent things. I keep the coop and run as dry as reasonable. I introduce dirt from the run into the brooder at Day 2 or 3 and feed them more dirt twice a week so they can start work strengthening their immune system so they are ready to hit the ground running with the best immune system I can give them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom