Regurgitating chickens

well just lost one of my 6 year old americana she is the one on my pic
she has never been sick, and the last two weeks got sick and crop issues, and tried everything and it was temporary, then we had to put her down last night, she was really sick, same thing happened last year to our five yr old americana, so old age, and developed some kind of digestive issue, and runny stools, but very little she would not eat anymore, I put in some apple cider vinegar water and probiotics but did not help at this point, wondering on using the vinegar water for others and 15 week old chickens, as they get older, to help prevent some of it?

well just lost one of my 6 year old americana she is the one on my pic
she has never been sick, and the last two weeks got sick and crop issues, and tried everything and it was temporary, then we had to put her down last night, she was really sick, same thing happened last year to our five yr old americana, so old age, and developed some kind of digestive issue, and runny stools, but very little she would not eat anymore, I put in some apple cider vinegar water and probiotics but did not help at this point, wondering on using the vinegar water for others and 15 week old chickens, as they get older, to help prevent some of it?
From my reading adding vinegar does nothing but make them drink less water. For some reason it has become a cure all that I personally don't understand. The stomach acid of a chicken is more acidic than any vinegar, and all vinegar is pasteurized so those with the so called mother do nothing but look different. Just my opinion.

Often the issues you are seeing is from some sort of blockage, be it from tumors growing internally to block the digestion or from there being some foreign material in the crop itself which causes a blockage. People have found all kinds of things in the crop from nails and coins to large quantities of string. Even grass and hay can cause a blockage if enough is consumed.

Once a blockage forms birds drink lots of water to attempt to dislodge it. That's why there's often water coming out of both ends. In my experiences they don't make once it reaches that point.

Last edited:
From my reading adding vinegar does nothing but make them drink less water. For some reason it has become a cure all that I personally don't understand. The stomach acid of a chicken is more acidic than any vinegar, and all vinegar is pasteurized so those with the so called mother do nothing but look different. Just my opinion.

Often the issues you are seeing is from some sort of blockage, be it from tumors growing internally to block the digestion or from there being some foreign material in the crop itself which causes a blockage. People have found all kinds of things in the crop from nails and coins to large quantities of string. Even grass and hay can cause a blockage if enough is consumed.

One a blockage forms birds drink lots of water to attempt to dislodge it. That's why there's often water coming out of both ends. In my experiences they don't make once it reaches that point.
Agrees that without opening them up, there's no way to know what killed them.
The ACV does have some probiotic aspects(that's what the 'mother' is, a colony of organisms), which could be beneficial on occasion,
but it certainly isn't the miraculous cure-all it's often purported to be.

Back
Top Bottom