BrahmaMom1797

Songster
May 18, 2017
Hello all!

I have a couple questions that I think I can answer myself but need a little confirmation on.
I recently evacuated due to the wildfires raging in California and not only had to separate some of my flock, but also mix a bunch of them together.
The night I left home with my family, we didn’t have a lot of time to grab everybody we had— I felt so awful, but we retrieved everyone we left the day after— I grabbed my two babies, because like most people, I was unprepared for this sort of disaster and wanted to bring the youngest two for the longest life span just in case we lost everything. It was a hard decision, but it ultimately worked out.
Now, I have my small bird flock and my big bird flock mixed together in day time and night time. They’re doing well together and the small birds are bullying the big birds more than the big birds to them. My biggest concern now is integrating my two 16 week brahmas with them. I shouldn’t be since it usually goes over well with my flock but due to being evacuated their situations are not like their usual ones.
We've been out of our home now for two weeks and that just about as long as our two flocks have been mixed and I’m honestly just wondering....

Should I leave the two babies separated till we get home and put them back with their initial flock group? Or would it be safe to put them out to forage and sleep with the mixed flocks?

Thank you for any and all answers and advice.

Last edited:
I suggest doing it now while everyone is away from their home range. There's less likelihood of conflict when everyone is feeling somewhat displaced.

If there's going to be trouble, you'll see it in the first couple hours.
I was thinking that as well so I may try to pop them in with everyone this afternoon. Thank you for the reassurance for that idea and I’ll take that advice! :D

Back
Top Bottom