reintroducing a sick chicken?

sheeshshe

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
My hen is standing and is DONE with her box in the basement. she's knocking all the water/food etc over and just making a huge mess. she's ready to move on. but the other chickens now hate her guts. I don't want her to over do it with them and re-injure herself since she really isn't 100% yet. she's walking, but has a slight limp. now that I'm looking at her I think she broke a toe. well... so I put her in the coop alone and left the others in the run and shut the door. but now what? what do I do so that she doesn't get bad again? is she going to make her foot worse if she chases with the others?

Do you have a kennel or crate that you can put her into the coop in? If so, I would use the crate for a day or two in the coop, let her spend the day and night in there, just give her food/water.

Then when the others are out - free ranging is best - let her out so she can start to explore again. Lock her up for a night or two in the kennel if you think she needs extra protection (keeps her from being picked on in the morning before you get to the coop).

ya.gif
that she is better.

Back
Top Bottom