Rejected (?) pigeon hatchling

He's doing good, alive and well. I checked at 9 this morning and he had a full crop, so the parents are taking care of him :)
That's great. The picture is two squabs I hand fed last spring. They now have squabs of their own.

mbkbp.jpg

Unfortunately I have sad news.. I found the little guy dead this morning.
Not sure what happened. Just the day before he had his crop full, was active and strong. His crop was empty but I thought that is normal overnight. He was warm and inside the nest too.
Only thing I can think of is if one of the parents stepped on him, they did have minor scuffles on the nest sometimes.
I'm not sure what to do now. They still have one other egg that was due to hatch 2 days ago, I'm not sure how many extra days to give it. I guess I should just remove the chick?

Unfortunately I have sad news.. I found the little guy dead this morning.
Not sure what happened. Just the day before he had his crop full, was active and strong. His crop was empty but I thought that is normal overnight.

The newly hatched are fed at night too. My guess is just new parents.
He was warm and inside the nest too.
Only thing I can think of is if one of the parents stepped on him, they did have minor scuffles on the nest sometimes.
A strongly bonded pair does not fight in the nest. With pigeons, not all males and females are compatible. The best pairing is when the birds pick their mate.
I'm not sure what to do now. They still have one other egg that was due to hatch 2 days ago, I'm not sure how many extra days to give it. I guess I should just remove the chick?
Pigeons have an internal clock and don't brood a nest much more than 20-25 days. Dispose of the chick and egg as it has died in the shell or was infertile.

How many pigeons do you have? Your young pair is likely to make a new nest and lay eggs in a few weeks. This pair might do better with a deeper nest box so the squabs can't be pushed from the nest.

If you have just the pair consider getting two other birds; male and female that have not bonded. In this way the pigeons have a choice of mates.

Back
Top Bottom