Remember when America's dollar was the most powerful dollar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
barnie.gif

But that's gooberment $$$$$?!

hide.gif

Quote:
Learn some tax history:
The nation had few taxes in its early history. From 1791 to 1802, the United States government was supported by internal taxes on distilled spirits, carriages, refined sugar, tobacco and snuff, property sold at auction, corporate bonds, and slaves. The high cost of the War of 1812 brought about the nation's first sales taxes on gold, silverware, jewelry, and watches. In 1817, however, Congress did away with all internal taxes, relying on tariffs on imported goods to provide sufficient funds for running the government.

In 1862, in order to support the Civil War effort, Congress enacted the nation's first income tax law. It was a forerunner of our modern income tax in that it was based on the principles of graduated, or progressive, taxation and of withholding income at the source. During the Civil War, a person earning from $600 to $10,000 per year paid tax at the rate of 3%. Those with incomes of more than $10,000 paid taxes at a higher rate. Additional sales and excise taxes were added, and an “inheritance” tax also made its debut. In 1866, internal revenue collections reached their highest point in the nation's 90-year history—more than $310 million, an amount not reached again until 1911.

The Act of 1862 established the office of Commissioner of Internal Revenue. The Commissioner was given the power to assess, levy, and collect taxes, and the right to enforce the tax laws through seizure of property and income and through prosecution. The powers and authority remain very much the same today.

In 1868, Congress again focused its taxation efforts on tobacco and distilled spirits and eliminated the income tax in 1872. It had a short-lived revival in 1894 and 1895. In the latter year, the U.S. Supreme Court decided that the income tax was unconstitutional because it was not apportioned among the states in conformity with the Constitution.

In 1913, the 16th Amendment to the Constitution made the income tax a permanent fixture in the U.S. tax system. The amendment gave Congress legal authority to tax income and resulted in a revenue law that taxed incomes of both individuals and corporations. In fiscal year 1918, annual internal revenue collections for the first time passed the billion-dollar mark, rising to $5.4 billion by 1920. With the advent of World War II, employment increased, as did tax collections—to $7.3 billion. The withholding tax on wages was introduced in 1943 and was instrumental in increasing the number of taxpayers to 60 million and tax collections to $43 billion by 1945.

Read more: History of the Income Tax in the United States — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005921.html#ixzz1bIKJdNqQ

Quote:
Holy cats
barnie.gif
Give me 24 hours to respond. I've been up for 20 hours and started onthe 1st link.

I just wrote a 20 page research paper on how to increase security in the chain of custody for disposal of e-waste that would help prevent illegal smuggling of toxic e-waste into 3rd world/developing nations in one class, and I had to research sweatshops in an international manufacturing relations class. I've got a couple pages of links to articles in newspapers, business magazines, etc that I used as secondary source material. That's just some links off each paper, plus a link to a google image search of a HUGE e-waste pile that scavengers of course live on/around/near hoping to pick apart and sell what they can (and they don't realize that the stuff in CRT monitors is toxic, blah blah blah).

It's basically just figuring out ways to make the disposal companies more accountable. The harsh reality is that they wouldn't attempt to subvert regulations if they were interested in the people versus the profits, and corporations encourage this mindset by not wanting to pay the prices necessary to dispose of their waste products in the proper manner. Unfortunately when you go with the lowest bidder, you know that you're also tacitly agreeing to whatever the lowest bidder does (illegal dumping, sweatshops, etc) that brings their prices down as far as possible.

You evidently did not read the post in its' context...you expressed concern or feelings for the poor uneducated people in third world countries who are dying from toxic e-waste or I was led to believe that and I responded to that with an alternative. point is we ALL contribute to e-waste and somehow some think by being aware that it is lessened to some degree when the reality is it is going to be manufactured somewhere at a rate to meet the demand. I can give a good example, google the carbon footprint of one hybrid car battery, which are bought exclusively by developed nations and manufactured in the places you describe and the cost of those vehicles is passed to the consumer and taxpayer and they still are not practical. Oh, and these technologies are encouraged by the U. S. government through green incentives, Yah! When you are my age you will see the world in a different light. Congratulations on your 20 page (wow!) paper.
Quote:
Hmmm. Is that your attempt at baiting me? If it is, it's not working. It isn't the fact that there is e-waste to dispose of isn't what bothered me. It is the fact that instead of getting rid of it responsibly (which, btw, would pass some cost of the disposal back to the consumer... which should be expected), they chose to be shady and dispose of these toxic parts in developing countries, making people sick and causing all kinds of environmental problems in order to save money.

So you can take your troll poking stick somewhere else, man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom