Removable roosts!

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
I came up with an idea to have removable roosts for easier cleaning. I had my husband install big metal brackets on each side and slide the 2x4 right it. They are super sturdy and all I need to do is lift up the 2x4. I have several roosts in the coop as well as the run.

8edavupe.jpg

uhedy2ev.jpg

nytuha3u.jpg

The roosts do not wiggle and are very secure.

I wanted to share this for those who are interested.

Last edited:
2x4 joist hangers. My husband bought them at a hardware store for .50 a piece. He says they are used for building decks I think.

I made a wood template, which can use 2x2, 2x4, 4x2. I would refer 4x2 because the chicken can flying up less likely to fall down then 2x4.

Last edited:
I made a wood template, which can use 2x2, 2x4, 4x2.   I would refer 4x2 because the chicken can flying up less likely to fall down then 2x4.

I tried roosting my flock at 4x2 and they hated it. They'd sleep on the floor, nest boxes or our poop board/shelving.

I chose the removable roosts since using the joists keeps them snug in place and all I have to do is lift up to remove them. I have roosts in my run too, since I convert the run into a coop during the winter. I have shelving in the coop which protects poop getting in the feeder tray and the heater. I do heat the coop in the winter since I spend a lot of time with my flock. They help me get through life since I became disabled 5 years ago with pain and limited physical activity from breaking my neck.

In the last few years I've never seen a hen fall off the roost. My group is pretty gentle to each other.

Last edited:
Thank you for the great pictures, pfrosty, this is what I've been trying to describe to my husband as he works on his plans for the coop he's finishing for me so these will be a great visual (though I think we'll turn our's to the 2 inch side for roosting). I do have one question - it looks like your top board is flush with the wall at the back, is it? If so, does that seem to bother the birds since they don't have any "room" at the back for their bodies when they are on the roost?

Thank you for the great pictures, pfrosty, this is what I've been trying to describe to my husband as he works on his plans for the coop he's finishing for me so these will be a great visual (though I think we'll turn our's to the 2 inch side for roosting). I do have one question - it looks like your top board is flush with the wall at the back, is it? If so, does that seem to bother the birds since they don't have any "room" at the back for their bodies when they are on the roost?

The roosts sit directly middle above the poop board. One poop board is 2' deep which means the chickens will have 12" front and back. The second poop board in 20" deep giving the chickens 10" front and back. I only will slide the roosts back towards the wall when cleaning poop from the Sweet PDZ filled poop boards. I hope that makes sense. Heres a better pic of the daily setup.

Back
Top Bottom