Renovating the Little Monitor Roof Coop

It can be....just keep an eye on it.
I use paper towels over PDZ in the brooder for a few days at least,
but am careful to keep the edges of towels flat or they'll pick and them and may crawl under.
Having the feed, and water, on the tote lid will help keep them cleaner,
and help keep the chicks from eating shavings(don't think it's huge problem anyway).
I put them out in the coop with tote lids but on shavings by a week.

I put the feed and water on concrete pavers since I had them handy.

I put the feed and water on concrete pavers since I had them handy.
Ah, I wondered about the size/shape.......still good to get them off the ground.
I have a pile of pavers and bricks and blocks, halves and wholes, they come in mighty handy for all sorts of things...especially when there's chicks around.

Ah, I wondered about the size/shape.......still good to get them off the ground.
I have a pile of pavers and bricks and blocks, halves and wholes, they come in mighty handy for all sorts of things...especially when there's chicks around.

The last time, when I got the chicks from the lady who brooded them for me at 4 weeks, I used stacks of blocks and bricks to keep the feeder and waterer rising with their growth.

The last time, when I got the chicks from the lady who brooded them for me at 4 weeks, I used stacks of blocks and bricks to keep the feeder and waterer rising with their growth.
I use 8 and 16oz sour cream container filled with sand or PDZ, fits the chick size feed/water pretty perfect......not as stable as concrete tho.

So when are these little buggers coming....day olds....shipped or farm store or....???

I use 8 and 16oz sour cream container filled with sand or PDZ, fits the chick size feed/water pretty perfect......not as stable as concrete tho.

So when are these little buggers coming....day olds....shipped or farm store or....???

I'm going to the farm store tomorrow. The last one in the area that's still getting chicks this late.

Assuming the breeds arriving tomorrow are as advertised, I'll be getting Delawares, Blue Australorps (I didn't know they came in blue but I'm not going to complain), and possibly a California White and/or a Wyandotte if I can tell the "assorted Wyandottes" chicks apart and not get gold by accident. (I think that black and white chickens are gorgeous and don't care much for red or yellow ones).

I am prepared for them to not actually be what they're supposed to be after reading so many stories about farm store chick mistaken identity issues. 😁

I'd have loved to have some Brahmas, because my favorite hens were my Dark Brahmas last time, but none are expected in this shipment.

A temporary board across part of the access door to slow down chicks' attempts to escape while I'm attending to them:

1593211802431.png

Plenty of space to brood 8 babies:

1593211855086.png

OSB will fall apart it a humid climate. I don't care if it's painted or not. I don't even mess with the junk here in arkansas.
We don't mess with OSB in Oregon either. Rain forest or not, if near the ground, morning humidity (dew point) will begin to expand and degrade it. In many places, a driving rain will come and begin to seep in. Seasons come, and OSB goes.

How's the babies doing?

Quite well. I just came in from half an hour of Chick TV. They had fun playing chicken football with some bits of grass. It was hilarious they way that Dumpling had a blade and everyone was running after her -- charging right over the other grass because, obviously, Dumpling's grass was better grass. 😆

Finally, Omelet realized that she could have her own grass and abandoned the game.

I ended up tearing the grass into quarter-inch bits for them since they couldn't peck it apart.

I found some coarser sand in part of the yard and got them a couple more pinches of grit too.

1593733552895.png

Back
Top Bottom