Replacing Nutrena All Flock 18%...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by flyin-lowe, Nov 28, 2018.

1. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Songster

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I’ve been using this feed from Rural King for 3 years. Went in today to grab a bag and they were out. Checked the two other stores close by and they were out too. Had customer service check and none of them are getting anymore so she assumed they are no longer going to carry it. Looking for something similar to replace with and will I have much problems getting hens to take a new brand of feed? Without any notice I can’t teally gradually change them over. Their current bucket will be empty tomorrow.

Melky likes this.
  2. Trish1974

Trish1974 Araucana enthusiast

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    I feed Purina Flock Raiser. I switched to that when my flock became picky with the Nutrena All Flock.

Melky, puffypoo, aart and 3 others like this.
  3. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Songster

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    To be honest I now can't remember exactly why I went with the All Flock. It was recommended to me when I started but I don't know what the justification was at the time. I have only had laying hens, so I'm assuming switching to some type of layer pellets would be a logical choice.

Melky and Texas Kiki like this.
  4. cholland

cholland Songster

Jan 17, 2017
    California
    I feed an all flock feed, actually a game bird mix because I prefer the higher protien. It comes from a local mill so I can't really recommend a brand.
    With an all flock feed you don't have to consider if they are laying or not, young pullets, or if you have a rooster. Just provide oyster shell on the side. They will eat the calcium they need. Mine really don't touch the oyster shell when they aren't laying. The young pullets just starting gobble it up like their feed.

Melky, Ol Grey Mare, puffypoo and 2 others like this.
  5. New2Chicks97

New2Chicks97 Songster

Jul 3, 2018
    Washington State
    Try Purina flock raiser maybe? That is what my chickens eat. I have flock raiser because we have roosters and some younger POL pullets.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x3. I also feed Flock Raiser, with separate oyster shell. It works for everyone, young or old, and actually is more cost effective than the Nutrena, at least here. Whatever you buy needs to be fresh!
    Mary

7. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    I would just get layer feed since you only have hens.

Melky likes this.
  8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    4x Flock Raiser with Oyster Shell in a separate dish ... No regrets switching from layer, I have only hens & the shells are strong & girls have no issue with it.

Melky, puffypoo and blackdog043 like this.
  9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    The problem with flock raiser is that in many areas you can't get it in pellets. Crumble is just a waste of time for me. I was happy when my TSC got the 20% Purina All Flock in last month, as it is good for my guineas, but I have no confidence they will keep it in stock.

Melky and ChickNanny13 like this.
  10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    [​IMG]
    I use this one sometimes. It's quite similar and comes in pellets.

Melky and puffypoo like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: