Reporter seeking to interview people with "surprise roosters"

Anyone who incubates eggs has a good chance of getting a cockerel/rooster. We have had three so far... One French Black Copper Maran was easy to rehome to someone interested in breeding. Two black sex links were sent to a friends farm for a six week vacation...hoping to grill them at the end of this month!

We ordered a sexed female Polish from a hatchery, and we named her Millie. She turned out to be a he. A very feisty, aggressive male I renamed Finnigan Fred. He was a beautiful guy, once I figured out those streamers and sickle feathers were there, and when he began crowing. He was part of a clique I called Guinea and friends. It was Finnigan in charge, a guinea hen, a Silkie cockerel, and a Speckled Sussex pullet. They would wander the property and get into trouble.
It was on one of these escapades that a coyote snatched Finnigan, but now we have 2 more Polish who are supposed to be female, but as they grow I am not counting on it. The guys who sex the baby chicks sometimes get it wrong. So I've learned not to count your hens before they turn out to be unwanted roosters who don't lay eggs and just look pretty.

I sold my extra cockerel this past weekend at a local poultry swap. There must have been 1000 chickens/other poultry there, 100's of roosters crowing. If you can find such a swap in your area, you could find a lot of people to interview in person....I know there is one in Loudon County, VA where my sister lives.
Good luck with your article, please post a link so we can read it!
Sue

Last edited:
E
Hi,

My name is Karin Brulliard, and I'm a reporter for the Washington Post who focuses on animal-related issues. I've written a few articles about backyard chickens, and now I'm working on a story about an issue I've frequently heard about while reporting those: unexpected roosters.

I'm looking to talk to people who have recently (within the past two years) had chicks they believed were hens but that turned out to be roosters. I'm particularly interested in talking to folks who had to give up the rooster -- whether because of local ordinances, unhappy neighbors, or flock strife. I'd also love to hear from you if you have a rooster in a place where it's not allowed and how you manage that -- with a collar? Battling local officials to change the law? Finally, I'd also like to speak to people who decided that the best solution was...rooster for dinner. (How did you prepare it? How did it taste?)

You can message me via Backyard Chickens or email me at work: [email protected]. Thanks for your time. I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

**Note: This query was approved by the site owner.**
Everyone who has something relevant to say to the reporter should email that person if you haven't already, and not just post in here. She (I think) may not have time to read the forums and may just want to interview a few sources, depending on the article. She's pretty specific on what she wants.

It sounds like it could be an interesting article. Surprise or unwanted cockerels are a big issue that is pretty much ignored by the press and the poultry industry in general, too.

Agrees, except correction...but folks don't like to say/write that word.

Sounds like article may mostly be about people keeping chickens for pets with benefits fad rather than primarily for food as I do. I hatch new chicks every year, and slaughter extra cockerels at 13-16 weeks old(can put them on the grill and use bones for stock). Older hens get slaughtered late summer/fall. They get sold or eaten by me fit for stewing only. They are all delicious but not your grocery or Cornish Cross chicken.
You can message me if you want to know more.
ETA: Read a couple of your chicken articles, good job.
Haha yeah, I didn't think the Washington Post would want to use the terms cock or cockbird so I left it at rooster.

First time chicken owner. I bought 4 chicks that were "sexed" as females. Looks like out of 4, 2 are boys. One definitely has started crowing. I'm willing to give it a try if it turns out to be 2, but I will have to get more girls. I don't want any overcrowding, so a lot will depend on the health and happiness of the girls. I have found a rescue that will take the roosters if it doesn't work. It was quite a relief to know I have a plan b for the boys.

I think she ought to post on the New Members Introduction forum if okay with BYC. So many, many new members get sexed chicks that are "totally" rooster and they don't know what to do about it. Newbies especially getting "spoofed," for lack of a better word at chicken swaps etc. Brazenly offered laying hens for sale, that are "cock-a-doing" all the way home.

I think she ought to post on the New Members Introduction forum if okay with BYC. So many, many new members get sexed chicks that are "totally" rooster and they don't know what to do about it. Newbies especially getting "spoofed," for lack of a better word at chicken swaps etc. Brazenly offered laying hens for sale, that are "cock-a-doing" all the way home.
I got my 12 chicks from MyPetChicken because what I wanted wasn't available locally, and most breeders don't sex day-olds.

I would order from them again because they accept small orders and their customer service is great, but somewhat disappointed that there could possibly be 4 roos in that dozen, and they offered to credit me on a future order.

I ordered 12 thinking some of them wouldn't survive the journey, but they're all going strong. I tried to give them away but none of the AZ folks want them, but I do have other options.

Last edited:
I have a ton of rooster stories big one trying to kill a little rooster to take his pullets away, a hen turned rooster bc of hormone issues , 3 roosters growing up together only to turn on each other as they grew, I bought pullets two separate times and got one roo out of each flock
Now if you really want a story there is one.. a hen turning rooster! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom