Reporter seeking to interview people with "surprise roosters"

Where I live chickens aren’t allowed...but I’ve got them anyway. Did my homework on the best breed to fit my location...neighbors don’t mind since I’ve been a good steward. The city has been flirting with allowing chickens for a few years, but the Council is afraid of Bird Flu . Really the issues are noise (no roosters), smell (clean that coop), and environmental (proper disposal of waste). I’m rather new to this, but I think the biggest health hazard is direct contact with the chickens due to salmonella. Proper, common sense hygiene and care takes care of that.

Where I live chickens aren’t allowed...but I’ve got them anyway. Did my homework on the best breed to fit my location...neighbors don’t mind since I’ve been a good steward. The city has been flirting with allowing chickens for a few years, but the Council is afraid of Bird Flu . Really the issues are noise (no roosters), smell (clean that coop), and environmental (proper disposal of waste). I’m rather new to this, but I think the biggest health hazard is direct contact with the chickens due to salmonella. Proper, common sense hygiene and care takes care of that.
Well, that sucks big time. They need to get some open-minded, educated folks on that Council, maybe some farmers and people who want to be more self-sustaining, knowing where their food comes from.

Hopefully, they'll eventually come around and change some ordinances in your favor. If you haven't done so, find a BYC group in your area and band together and come up with a strong proposal.

Good Luck! --BB

Well, that sucks big time. They need to get some open-minded, educated folks on that Council, maybe some farmers and people who want to be more self-sustaining, knowing where their food comes from.

Hopefully, they'll eventually come around and change some ordinances in your favor. If you haven't done so, find a BYC group in your area and band together and come up with a strong proposal.

Good Luck! --BB
Thanks BB. Anywhere outside my city it’s no problem, this county has a large agricultural/ranching and ocean sport fishing presence. But the standard residential lots within are 80x125 with zero lot lines...tight fit. Will take some major convincing and responsible owners...it only takes one to ruin it for everybody

Thanks BB. Anywhere outside my city it’s no problem, this county has a large agricultural/ranching and ocean sport fishing presence. But the standard residential lots within are 80x125 with zero lot lines...tight fit. Will take some major convincing and responsible owners...it only takes one to ruin it for everybody
If the neighbors aren't complaining and the Police aren't patrolling looking for underground chicken owners, then keep on truckin'.

I emailed k.brulliard. She emailed back a request for a telephone interview. May 15th we talked on the phone. She seemed to enjoy my story for its humor.
Tonight my phone had died so I charged it while I put chickens to bed. I missed a call from someone from the Washington Post who's message said they wanted to take a picture of my rooster.
Sounds like Repecca/Roopecca/Mr. Pecca Roo is going to be in the paper!
:th

I am eggzawsted!
The photographer just left. I spent 1-1/2 hours posing all but one of my flock for Brian, photographer from the Washington Post newspaper. The last one only because the wind started to whip up and he was afraid it would rain. I'm surprised at how calm my chooks became after I caught each one, brought them out of their run, and posed them one at a time on the picnic table with a sky blue backdrop behind them. The article will be in this weekends edition and Brian thinks they will use a lot of his pictures. Considering the story is about roosters perhaps he will be wrong and it will only be of Repecca/Roopecca/Mr. Pecca Roo.
Crickets now for my good girls and Pecca.

Back
Top Bottom