Pics
Basic care, tank size, special needs?
So their day to day care is pretty minimal, but it is crucial that you have a good setup.

Housing: A 40 gallon tank (36in by 18in by 18in) or larger for an adult beardie. They need an overhead heat source (halogen bulb usually) set up on one side of their tank to create a temperature gradient. An elevated basking area should provide temps of 95-100 degrees. High heat is imperative for proper digestion. But they also need to be able to move away from the heat and cool off. Just like baby chicks in a brooder, dragons will move towards and away from their heat source throughout the day to keep themselves at the perfect temp.

They also need full spectrum UV lights, and tube lights are better than the compact ones. The lights are pricey and need to be replaced every 6-12 months even if they are not burned out. Without proper UV light, skeletal problems will quickly develop.

They need some sort of substrate in their tank but people have very strong and differing opinions about what kind is best. You will have to do some research and do what you think is best. (FWIW I use play sand, but know that many people are strongly anti-sand)

Beardies like to climb, so sticks, hammocks, etc are very good. They should also have a couple hiding places (one on the cool side of the tank and one on the warm side).

Diet: They are omnivores and need bugs plus a wide variety of veggies. My adult beardie gets a mixed salad daily and bugs (mainly dubia roaches) 1-2 times per week. Young, growing dragons need a lot more protein so they get bugs much more often. Bugs are the probably the priciest part of their regular care.

Beardies have very high calcium requirements (on par with laying hens). You will need to buy calcium powder to sprinkle on their food.

Some beardies will drink from a water dish, others won’t. Mine doesn’t so I give her a soak in the sink for 15min once a week.

Personality: Amazing! Mellow, easy going, but curious. Mine loves watching tv or video games, staring out the windows in our house, and going for car rides. Mine can be easily handled even by children. Loves being hand fed.

This channel has good overview guides in all reptiles:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCH18915fTE6yZzKrqdea8RQ

Or I would be happy to try and answer questions 😊

This is Tad by the way (she is female despite the name lol).

1BE6CF98-CB72-495C-AF57-63F38BE93B05.jpeg

So their day to day care is pretty minimal, but it is crucial that you have a good setup.

Housing: A 40 gallon tank (36in by 18in by 18in) or larger for an adult beardie. They need an overhead heat source (halogen bulb usually) set up on one side of their tank to create a temperature gradient. An elevated basking area should provide temps of 95-100 degrees. High heat is imperative for proper digestion. But they also need to be able to move away from the heat and cool off. Just like baby chicks in a brooder, dragons will move towards and away from their heat source throughout the day to keep themselves at the perfect temp.

They also need full spectrum UV lights, and tube lights are better than the compact ones. The lights are pricey and need to be replaced every 6-12 months even if they are not burned out. Without proper UV light, skeletal problems will quickly develop.

They need some sort of substrate in their tank but people have very strong and differing opinions about what kind is best. You will have to do some research and do what you think is best. (FWIW I use play sand, but know that many people are strongly anti-sand)

Beardies like to climb, so sticks, hammocks, etc are very good. They should also have a couple hiding places (one on the cool side of the tank and one on the warm side).

Diet: They are omnivores and need bugs plus a wide variety of veggies. My adult beardie gets a mixed salad daily and bugs (mainly dubia roaches) 1-2 times per week. Young, growing dragons need a lot more protein so they get bugs much more often. Bugs are the probably the priciest part of their regular care.

Beardies have very high calcium requirements (on par with laying hens). You will need to buy calcium powder to sprinkle on their food.

Some beardies will drink from a water dish, others won’t. Mine doesn’t so I give her a soak in the sink for 15min once a week.

Personality: Amazing! Mellow, easy going, but curious. Mine loves watching tv or video games, staring out the windows in our house, and going for car rides. Mine can be easily handled even by children. Loves being hand fed.

This channel has good overview guides in all reptiles:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCH18915fTE6yZzKrqdea8RQ

Or I would be happy to try and answer questions 😊
Thank you sooo much! This has helped a LOT! Does the calcium powder go on everything they eat?

Back
Top Bottom